Service and MB Extended Warranty

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
Hi, Have just become the proud owner of a SLK32 AMG and to my suprise the prevous owner has just told me that they took a 3 year ext warranty when they bought it last year and have only covered 1k in last 12 months.

I presume this will still be in force with me as the new owner, also the car has covered only 48k with fsh with the original MB that supplied it new.

I currently use a Indie in Leicester will this invalidate the warranty ? or would i be better using a MB to service to preserve the fmbsh, bearing in mind it's now 7 years old.

Also would you recomend getting it serviced as it's last service was last june 08 when they purchased it but has only covered 1k in that time.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• SLK2.jpg
    SLK2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 6
  • SLK 1.jpg
    SLK 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 5

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I presume this will still be in force with me as the new owner,

I wouldn't presume anything - read the terms of the warranty. You are likely to at least have to notify them of transfer of ownwership and maybe pay an admin fee.

I'm guessing it's an MB warranty? If that's the case then it's probably a condition of the warranty that it's serviced by a franchised dealer - this is enforceable on extended warranty's, whereas it isn't on new car warranty.

As for getting it serviced, worst case you should be guided by ASSYST and the car probably only needs servicing once every 2 yrs (but maybe it's more frequent on AMG models - what does the handbook say?). If you want to get it serviced more often then of course that's fine. Having it serviced by a dealer also maintains the Mobilio cover, of course.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Is there an MB extended warranty that covers three years?

The normal Approved Used MB warranty for 1 year does require you to get serviced at MB dealers. My feeling would be that an AMG would benefit from dealer servicing provided you have a good one near you.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi, Have just become the proud owner of a SLK32 AMG and to my suprise the prevous owner has just told me that they took a 3 year ext warranty when they bought it last year and have only covered 1k in last 12 months.

I presume this will still be in force with me as the new owner, also the car has covered only 48k with fsh with the original MB that supplied it new.

I currently use a Indie in Leicester will this invalidate the warranty ? or would i be better using a MB to service to preserve the fmbsh, bearing in mind it's now 7 years old.

Also would you recomend getting it serviced as it's last service was last june 08 when they purchased it but has only covered 1k in that time.

Thanks for any advice
Yes I would get it serviced, not least because you will then know more about your car and any possible issues with it. I would take a guess that the warranty is not a Mercedes one and is possibly warranty direct or something similar. IMO they cover the things that don't break and not the things that do. As your car is 7 years old if you have a good independent that knows Mercedes and has the necessary test equipment and training then the money you save getting servicing and repairs with him will be more than enough to cover any repairs that you may need in the future.

OP
J

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
Update re: MB Warranty

Hi,
Have just picked up the car and wow the performance is amazing,

Back to the warranty, it is a tier 1 Mercedes Mechanical breakdown cover and seems very comprehensive inc MOT failures with parts and labour with exclusions for the obious like brake pads tyres etc. It was at a cost of £1600 and is valid till June 2011 what a result !!

It states that for warranty to be valid car must be serviced to assyt schedule
by a authorized Mercedes Benz Retailer.

So i Guess the Indie i use Silver Star Mercedes in Leicester would not come into this catagory or are approved Indies ok.

If not does anyone have any experiance with MB of Leicester

Thanks

Attachments

• SLK2.jpg
    SLK2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Hi,
Have just picked up the car and wow the performance is amazing,

Back to the warranty, it is a tier 1 Mercedes Mechanical breakdown cover and seems very comprehensive inc MOT failures with parts and labour with exclusions for the obious like brake pads tyres etc. It was at a cost of £1600 and is valid till June 2011 what a result !!

It states that for warranty to be valid car must be serviced to assyt schedule
by a authorized Mercedes Benz Retailer.

So i Guess the Indie i use Silver Star Mercedes in Leicester would not come into this catagory or are approved Indies ok.

If not does anyone have any experiance with MB of Leicester

Thanks

That is a result on the warranty - didn't know they went out so far.

Silver Star doesn't qualify.

Don't know about MB Leicester (not my area) but I would suggest that you don't let them know about the warranty (unless you need to claim). Most MB dealers will heftily discount service for older cars so don't be afraid to negotiate prices with them.

124coupe

Reaction score
I would suggest that you don't let them know about the warranty (unless you need to claim). Most MB dealers will heftily discount service for older cars so don't be afraid to negotiate prices with them.

Second that - otherwise you will be over the proverbial barrel as they will KNOW you have to use them.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom