Service intervals and the ASSYST system.

Is the use of ASSYST to increase the frequency of servicing justified?

• Yes. Engineering reasons justify this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. The service may reveal unknown problems.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. This is a commercial move to increase revenue.

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I am an enthusiastic Mercedes owner, having had seven cars in all since 1991, 3 of which I am currently running (S, SL and C Class). I have found the ASSYST system to be a valuable asset in several cars.

Typically the system has prompted servicing at 14,000 to 17,000 mile intervals in my business cars (E Class previously, S Class now) and at intervals of 2 years in my wife’s previous C Class, at a mileage of 12,000. So far, so good.

I changed my wife’s C 200 Kompressor (2000 vintage) for a 220 CDi last June (A 9 WCG). I was surprised a couple of weeks ago when the ASSYST system warned of the need for a service (4,500 miles, 8 months old). When I took it to have the system reset, I was advised that it could not be rest beyond the first anniversary of the car’s delivery, i.e. 6,000 miles/1 year.

On further enquiry I was advised that not to have the car serviced then would invalidate the warranty. I am sure that my previous experience is realistic and that 14,000-17,000 on mileage, or every 2 years on time, is a satisfactory service interval. I accept that extra items should be included at a service at 2 years, particularly in a low mileage car (e.g. coolant and brake fluid replacement) and would specify this in any case. This seems unreasonable both on engineering and environmental grounds.

When I contacted Mercedes Customer Service they recited the same script as the dealership.

I am punctilious on car maintenance – if there is a fault, it will be rectified promptly. Happily, I have not experienced faults with any of my cars.

Is this change to the protocol an engineering or a commercial decision? Is it reasonable for a warranty to become void on such flimsy reasoning. Karl Benz would not have been impressed!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Just a thought, were all the previous cars petrol?
Usually there is a difference in service intervals between Diesel & Petrol engines.

Russ

OP
Alex M Grieve

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The excellent posts by Hawk and others explain very clearly the situation. Sadly, we are all conforming to snags which have arisen due to idiosyncrasies in a system (ASSYST) which was intended to help us, and which because of these problems, is doing anything but. If this is allowed to stand as the "rule" - and the warranties of cars not serviced excessively in compliance with it are voided, it raises issues of excessive cost, waste and environmental damage. I do believe that "if the rules are too difficult they should be re-examined and, if appropriate, changed". It sounds as though the more recent trend to "one year or 15,500 miles, whichever is sooner" tacitly accepts the vagaries of the ASSYST problem, but deals with them in a rather "worst case scenario".
My driving pattern and habits have not changed. Indeed, I have moved from a petrol C200K to a diesel C Class, so if anything, things should be better, not worse.
I originally asked the dealership about this. They looked perplexed and were astonished that I had chosen to challenge the rules. They recommended that I speak to MB UK Customer Services, which I did with an identical outcome. They recommended, as I had challenged the engineering justification, that I contact MB UK Research and Development to receive an explanation for the technical reasons behind the increased frequency of servicing and the doubling of costs.
I wrote to them, very much along the lines of my posting. They did not acknowledge my letter, far less reply to it.
I remain highly skeptical. Is there an issue here for Trading Standards?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I've had company cars for many years until I "opted out" and bought a C270CDi. However a couple of my wife's cars (a Renault and a Peugeot) were on 2yr service intervals, but I still had them serviced every year even though she was only doing about 5000 miles per year. I'm mechanically minded and can check visibly check the cars myself, but I felt leaving them for 2yrs with a "proper" safety check was too long.

On my MB, it's on a ServicePlus package so I'm stuck with the mileage interval dicated. As I too only travel low mileage now, that car has being going the full 2yrs between services. My dealer service manager has told me he will fight with MB to have the car serviced every year as, in his opinion, leaving the car without being looked at for 2yrs is absurd.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom