service or warranty free !

DUDE53

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI
i am in the process of buying a used 2007 mercedes e280 cdi from a mercedes main dealer.they are offering 2 years free service & 1 years warranty or 2 years free warranty no service. i will drive about 12000 miles a year. which is the better offer ? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
Who's warranty would be the deciding point for me, most warranties are more use in the loo.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
See his post.

I would hazard a GUESS you could have both.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You would need to go over the warranty with a fine tooth comb...it probably wont cover service items and this is how they end up charging you...also check your service costs for 24K miles and decide which is better..
In general the warranty is the best deal..

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
You get one years warranty anyway, so the add on is worth, say, £750 (bit of a guess) for the second year.

Two years servicing. Does this include things like brake discs / pads or does it only include scheduled items like oil and filters? Assuming it includes thinks like brakes two services are worth, say £1200.

On that basis the servicing looks, at first glance, a better deal. If consumables are not included the decision is more evenly balanced from a numbers perspective.

I think I’d go with servicing (assuming 2 services and brakes etc. included) and buy the second year warranty, if I felt I needed it, after a year’s worth of experience of the car’s (un)reliability.

If brakes etc. are not included I’d go with the warranty

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
You get one years warranty anyway, so the add on is worth, say, £750 (bit of a guess) for the second year.

Two years servicing. Does this include things like brake discs / pads or does it only include scheduled items like oil and filters? Assuming it includes thinks like brakes two services are worth, say £1200.

The cynic in me suspects that the servicing will be restricted to what is described in the service manual. They will not include what are described separately as "additional items" - brake pads, discs, fluid, ATF changes, plugs, etc. I suspect they will remain additional.

So when guaging the value of "2 years free servicing", with a knowledge of the mileage you will do, and using the menu pricing on the dealer's website, you can work it out.

Now that we have annual servicing (or 15,500 miles, whichever comes first) for cars since 2006, there will be at least one A and one B to be done in 2 years.

More than that would be mileage dependant and you would need to count one service per 15,500 (alternating A and B). In this case, warranty would almost certainly be more useful.

The supreme cynic in me says that all promotional offers cost you money eventually, compared to the price you might be able to negotiate without the offer (servicing or warranty). This is after all in the same vein of selling as talking you into the merits of buying their insurance, gap insurance, "Scotch guarding", etc.

OP
D

DUDE53

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI
First of all thankyou all for your replies. I should have mention the free service or warranty is from Mercedes & of course nothing is free !.It seems i must check the small print, which i dont oftern do, by the way at the moment i drive a 280 slk which has been great but the kids dont like being left at home. Thanks again for your replies.

OP
D

DUDE53

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI
Update on my question about free warranty/service, as was mentioned it seems the large items on the service i.e brakes, plugs etc you pay for.To extend the warranty through mercedes (mondial assistance!) £900 the dealership thought about £550 slight differance, i will check this out. The sevice plan is £29.99 x 12,24,36 months for 1,2,3 sevices.All i want to do is drive off into the sunset & live happily ever after...

crockers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc now sold - XC60 D5 arrived
Why not tell him you want both...... nothing asked and all that -- if he says no walk away....and he may call you.

If you want to buy the car (today) ask for both and hold our your hand......but keep quiet.

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Update on my question about free warranty/service, as was mentioned it seems the large items on the service i.e brakes, plugs etc you pay for.To extend the warranty through mercedes (mondial assistance!) £900 the dealership thought about £550 slight differance, i will check this out. The sevice plan is £29.99 x 12,24,36 months for 1,2,3 sevices.All i want to do is drive off into the sunset & live happily ever after...

Apart from the benefit of spreading the cost, I don't get the benefit of the service plan. It appears to cost the same as having the services done.....and that's it! I'd have expected it to offer at least a little discount for pre-paying/guaranteeing you'll use the main dealer network or some kind of sweetener.

Am I missing something?

Dave

OP
D

DUDE53

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI
Comand - dvd

Could anyone tell me, do all Comand systems play dvds. Reason why, the 2007 e280cdi i have just brought has a dvd disc version of the car manual & comand system. When i put the disc in the relevant place in the dash cd slot after a few seconds "disc error" appears.I have taken the vehicle to various garages and getting mixed responses, yes they all do or no you need a muti-media system. Of course in the boot i have a dvd box which only plays the sat nav disc map for the Comand system not movie dvds.

Last edited:

blaser24nig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stunning SL350 - Gone
i am in the process of buying a used 2007 mercedes e280 cdi from a mercedes main dealer.they are offering 2 years free service & 1 years warranty or 2 years free warranty no service. i will drive about 12000 miles a year. which is the better offer ? :confused:

As most people have said, tell them you want both, 2 years warranty and 2 years service, from experience, I would say you would get it.

I once saw an SL350 at a Mercedes dealer for 28,000 and got 2,500 knocked off, I'm sure others on here would have had more...

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Service Plans

Although the total cost of the Service Plan seems to roughly add up to the cost of the services over what ever period is paid for, my dealer explained that additional service costs, like gearbox oil/filter changes and brake fluid changes are covered. Brakes, however are not covered, but by recent experience, should be subject to a reasonable discount.

So, to me, taking out a Service Plan after the car's second service seemed good value given that a gearbox service will be due by the next service.

Ernie

OP
D

DUDE53

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDI
The missing X factor

Well Ive had the E280CDI for a week & its left me the feeling of somethink missing. No WOW factor!?. The car i had before was SLK280 in cubanite metallic silver,tobaccoo brown leather seats. Each time my wife & myself walked up to the car where ever it was parked it looked a little bit differant there was a WOW factor. BUT this is about now-E280 colour silver ! black artico leather!. Where i start to smile::) is how smooth & quite the ride is, in fact before you know it you have gone past the correct speed limit & into points zone area!. Lots of toys in the car, I guess the missing X factor is the colour & that the driver does not realize he has great car. Anyway guys thanks for your help over the warranty/ service issue, in the end i went for 2 yrs free service 1 yr warranty.;)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom