Service queries

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Not sure whether I need fixed or long-life services (Had long-life on VAG products before) and general servicing advice.

Car (E320CDi Avantgarde saloon) is just over 4 years old and has 28k miles. Two stamps in the service book at 11360 miles (May 06) and 21464 miles (Dec 07).

Car was showing 28 days to C service on indicator but that is now counting down in miles, saying 2350 miles to go (about 4 weeks usage or so for me).

I'm guessing it had services done as per indicator not annually looking at the history? My usage is long, fast fairly gentle commutes and I think the car deciding when service needed will fit me best rather than fixed annual services.

What do I need to ask the dealer to do to ensure this happens? I guess I need to specify the different oil and ensure I specifically ask the car to be reset for this option? Can, and should I, provide my own oil and if so what is it (service book shows Texaco Havoline 5w-40 used previously)

Next point is about Mobilo - I presume I need the service at a Merc dealer to keep this up. As it's a C minor service I'm happy this time (quoted £220 at main stealer) but am I better getting AA or RAC and going indy servicing

thanks

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Not sure whether I need fixed or long-life services (Had long-life on VAG products before) and general servicing advice.

Car (E320CDi Avantgarde saloon) is just over 4 years old and has 28k miles. Two stamps in the service book at 11360 miles (May 06) and 21464 miles (Dec 07).

Car was showing 28 days to C service on indicator but that is now counting down in miles, saying 2350 miles to go (about 4 weeks usage or so for me).

I'm guessing it had services done as per indicator not annually looking at the history? My usage is long, fast fairly gentle commutes and I think the car deciding when service needed will fit me best rather than fixed annual services.

What do I need to ask the dealer to do to ensure this happens? I guess I need to specify the different oil and ensure I specifically ask the car to be reset for this option?

Next point is about Mobilo - I presume I need the service at a Merc dealer to keep this up. As it's a C minor service I'm happy this time (quoted £220 at main stealer) but am I better getting AA or RAC and going indy servicing

thanks

How long have you owned the car/been using it for the long commutes? On similar use my W211 (03) used to ask for a service about every 17,000 miles. If my sums are right, your's will be serviced in just under 9,000 miles from last time (Dec 07). It is conceivable that the ASSYST was not set for synthetic oil then, but it does seem a low mileage between services for such a relatively low mileage car.

My personal view is that I would use an Indy, but this is a well polarized debate and it all boils down to choice.

OP
O

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
I've only just had the car a few weeks and it was a a 'low user' car before me (guess lots of short journeys caused this low period to next service).

On VAG products I was getting around 18k between services hence why I want it now as my type of driving lends itself to this mileage every year anyway but I'd rather have this than just fixed annual as I actually believe the technology is capable so why not use it.

thanks

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

I've never heard of cars switching back to miles from days before - normally they change to days once they get within 30 days of needing service and then continue to count down in days.

E Class servicing scheduled seem to be the most confused of a generally very confused picture. I think you have to ensure that the dealer sets the oil type in the car's computer to 229.5 rather than a lesser grade.

You may have been quoted £220 by the dealer but if the car is 4yrs old then it will be due a brake fluid change and there might be other time/mileage related work that needs doing. If you tell the dealer the car's VIN and mileage, they should be able to tell you all the work it needs and if there are any outstanding recalls or service bulletins to do.

Apart from lower cost, another advantage of going to an indie is that you can ignore the demands of the service indicator and just get the car serviced when you feel it needs doing.

OP
O

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
I've never heard of cars switching back to miles from days before - normally they change to days once they get within 30 days of needing service and then continue to count down in days.

I wasn't sure which way round it was until you said this. I only looked this morning to see if my 1000 miles had made any difference (on VAG about a month after servicing them I could drive 500 miles and yest see the service extend by a 1000, a bizarre sight indeed but just reflecting its settling down to my driving use) but was suprised to see it now showing in miles. I assumed it changed from days to miles, obviously not.

Now, however, I think it's like the VAG product. After a year or so of lots of little usage it started to count down but I've just whacked a gentle 1000 miles on in a week or so so maybe its now reflecting that I have 'more time' to go???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
These displays can be confusing, when set to one system, it would say 1000 miles to next service, on the other 30 days after only 9k miles. Mine was set wrong by my dealer, so its an indie from now on, I have been another 6k miles since and it will get done next week.

You can add some new oil and the count down will be halted for a few more K miles

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I wasn't sure which way round it was until you said this. I only looked this morning to see if my 1000 miles had made any difference (on VAG about a month after servicing them I could drive 500 miles and yest see the service extend by a 1000, a bizarre sight indeed but just reflecting its settling down to my driving use) but was suprised to see it now showing in miles. I assumed it changed from days to miles, obviously not.

Now, however, I think it's like the VAG product. After a year or so of lots of little usage it started to count down but I've just whacked a gentle 1000 miles on in a week or so so maybe its now reflecting that I have 'more time' to go???

I guess you must be on the cusp as the system sorts itself out with the change in the way you're using the car.

One thing about the Merc system which seems different to the way you describe the VAG system is that the mileage doesn't normally increase. Instead it decreases by smaller amounts - so you drive 1000 miles but the service indicator only decreases by, say, 600 miles. The only time it does actually increase is, as Malcolm mentions, when you add oil but it only does this if you wait until it asks for oil and you add a certain amount (can't remember if it's a litre or half litre).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you are near 40K miles then you will also need the ATF changed, brake fluid is every 2 years so as per above also due. At the dealers this will be quite expensive.
A lot of W211 owners only seem to have the ASSYST set to 10K miles between services although it should be 12K with 229.5 oil. Later 211's are on the 15,500 fixed servicing. The 210's started at 12K but mine usually went up to ~18K on the ASSYST before requesting a service, neither my 210 or 211 have ever asked for a service in days it has always been miles.
One reason I think that MB changed the ASSYST on the 211's was that they weren't seeing the cars often enough to please their accountants...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom