Service Reminder Overload!

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
It makes not difference when it's drained or sucked out. My Smart Roadster doesn't have a drain plug on the sump pan, so in order to remove the sump pan on my car I sucked the oil out first. There was a spoon full of oil left in there. ;)
The way I look at this is....your Smart does not have a sump plug so it has been designed to have the oil sucked out, but the vast majority of cars do have sump plugs to allow draining of the oil. It is a relatively recent thing where oil can routinely be sucked out and this is done for the precise reason of time saving and therefore money saving.
It is probably safe to assume that the majority of engines will have more than a spoon full of old oil left in the sump after sucking out.
In the short term it will make absolutely no difference, but in the long term I still reckon draining is better. :)

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It is probably safe to assume that the majority of engines will have more than a spoon full of old oil left in the sump after sucking out.
Why will it? If the suction tube is at the lowest point it will suck out as much oil as the drain plug would.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
A friend of mine took his car for an mot, it failed the emissions test, the garage told him it needed a new cat and lambda sensor, we took it to a different mot test center the next day, this time making sure the car was fully warmed up, it passed.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
An update to my first post....
It makes no difference if I select the call option then cancel it before it's answered, because I am still continually getting the reminder every day. At least the reminder on my instrument display cancels itself after a few sconds, but that is probably done for safety reasons.

Regarding my service...I am wondering if my dealer will change the oil by sucking it out or draining?
I suppose this will vary from dealer to dealer but my previous Audi main dealer used the sucking method.
Draining is ultimately better in the long run...but it will make no difference to me.
Dealers almost always suck these days… stops them cracking the plastic sump when they undo the drain plug…

andys320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S211 280 CDi 2009, Porsche Boxster ,much missed Mercedes S320CDi 2003
If no one mentioned it already...some Mercedes main dealers servicing offices actually offer a full commentary video of the service being performed. I would think this would help build the trust element and ensure the completeness of the service; worth asking wherever you are taking it if that service is offered. There has been fear-mongering for many years about main dealers but the truth is that is where most (of not all) brilliant Mercedes techs start and continue their careers learning to service and diagnose specifically just models for the brand you own, and thus will have the most familiarity.

With that said, time and direct experience truly tells whether a specific dealer/indie is one you can build a relationship with, trust and always come to amicable service provided for the price. In the absence of this, finding a dealer/indie that someone in your area swears by time and time again is also a good guide stick. I have been to a few indies so far and have found each good for different things but not settled yet on one that I would take my car to for everything. The search continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure.

Before I took car to Italy last year I had sat nav updated at dealers, and was surprisingly impressed with the cost, I needed a comand update too.

On top of this they also did a health check with video, highlighted a intercooler hose that was perishing but said likely to last trip, at no cost.

Sure enough got there and back but within a couple of thousand miles I had to replace pipe.

Guess it depends on dealer but I was impressed with their service and charges on an "older" car.

Mind I still generally use an indy. :)

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Regarding my earlier question as to whether my dealer is likely to suck the oil out of my engine rather than draining it via the sump plug, I have been alerted to a fact that I have just read elswehere on this site...
My car does not have a dipstick so does this mean it is not possible to suck the oil out and it must be drained?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Regarding my earlier question as to whether my dealer is likely to suck the oil out of my engine rather than draining it via the sump plug, I have been alerted to a fact that I have just read elswehere on this site...
My car does not have a dipstick so does this mean it is not possible to suck the oil out and it must be drained?
as I understand it, cars without a dipstick still have the option to use a dipstick intended only for use when servicing the car and the dipstick used is not intended to be left permanently in place. There'll be a blank somewhere to insert the dipstick for the tube for sucking the oil out.

Last edited:
OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as I understand it, cars without a dipstick still have the option to use a dipstick intended only for use when servicing the car and the dipstick used is not intended to be left permanently in place. There'll be a blank somewhere to insert the dipstick or the tube for sucking the oil out.
Interesting....I will have a look to see if I can locate it.

redjules51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220cdi 2008
Unfortunately many of us distrust dealers. Sometimes warranted, sometimes not. I stopped taking my car car into a dealership many years ago and use a brilliant independent whom I trust. If he says you need so and so I just give him the go ahead without question. As my opening line suggests its all about trust.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom