Setting the date and time - W221 / C216

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I don't understand why anyone would hope to burn a disc using windows built in software.... (clunky nasty and often less than 50% success rate in it actually trying to write the files and then a 25% rate the disc is actually usable). they repeatedly demonstrate since circa 2004 they have basically no idea what they are doing.

there are free far better tools to burn discs.

I don't use but many do

https://www.cdburnerxp.se/

I'm using an old version of this, nags about a few options to buy some of their stuff, but you don't need to (get the free version)

https://www.ashampoo.com/uk/gbp/pin/7110/burning-software/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-FREE

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 W222 S500, 2019 W213 E220
Botus

Thanks for the links - I have downloaded Ashampoo as suggested. Do I use the "burn data" or "disc image" option

Thanks

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
on mine its.... (as lostkiwi says) under Disc Image menu, select burn image....

you are not creating the info to put on a disc.... you have that (that's what the ".iso image" has inside),

you can write files to a disc as various stuff

as boring data files (back up groups of random stuff - like a round USB thumb drive)
as a music cd
as a DVD
or in this case.... take an image you have (called an .ISO) and "turn it into a working CD" you want

Last edited:

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems to have worked now - thanks all!

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does anyone have this iso file already burned onto a CD that they would be willing to sell?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Out of interest surely merc themselves have fixed this issue and one can the update from merc. rather that than stick
some software on the computer that may contain some government tracking/virus software . :)

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Out of interest surely merc themselves have fixed this issue and one can the update from merc. rather that than stick
some software on the computer that may contain some government tracking/virus software . :)
I have the file but I can't get it to "burn" onto a disk properly. Been waiting over a year for the MB Dealer to get the file/disc without any luck. Not a priority for them during the pandemic apparently. I know many people have applied this fix themselves so was wondering if anyone would sell/pass their disk on

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
on post 137 is one that works perfectly to download using right click "save target as" using a grown up browser ( IE11) and now post 189 another upload, maybe this behaves better for strange people more interested in selling their soul to the devil than using a faster functional browser

both firefox and chrome secretly download 4 to 10 times the spyware you get with IE (which is the whole point of modern browsers)

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-...x-ntg-3-0-date-time-issues-8.html#post8298354

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
on post 137 is one that works perfectly to download using right click "save target as" using a grown up browser ( IE11) and now post 189 another upload, maybe this behaves better for strange people more interested in selling their soul to the devil than using a faster functional browser

both firefox and chrome secretly download 4 to 10 times the spyware you get with IE (which is the whole point of modern browsers)

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-...x-ntg-3-0-date-time-issues-8.html#post8298354
Botus

Thanks - I have the file downloaded and have tried to "burn" it onto a CDR several times but it doesn't seem to work. I am not a computer expert and only have an old PC that's why I was asking if anybody has a disk they have already used. To be honest I am not sure what browser I have but I think its google chrome

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
what is quite odd, is just how often the person posting a file gives no insights to users how to identify the integrity / validity of the file they have posted... and then how often people have no understanding and no tools to see if you have the right file....

the "file hash" is for want of the right words the "hallmark" of the downloaded file. With a simple tool you can check if the hallmark of the file you've now got, is an exact match to the one they guy wanted you to have...

its both a critical security step - making sure you got the file and not some nasty virus, and reassurance that its in a fit condition to do what you want... (which if its reprogramming the software on you car its a very good idea)

because the author of the file was a sensible chap he's given us the "hallmark". So the first thing to do is install a tool that allows you to check the hallmark of your file and compare it to the original... ONLY when you know you got the right file and it wasn't modified by some HACKING SCUM / or YOUR ISP / ANTIVIRUS DIDN'T DESTROY IT, can you start to think how to get the "ISO image" written to a CD

in the "zipped folder" you download is the .iso file you need and the instructions

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html with that tool on your PC verify the unzipped (unwrapped) folder, has the .ISO file with it's matching MD5 file hash of D316983FCC0A9E3D8090959524C80F2B

An .ISO file is a weird beard "image" (aka copy) of the info that's on a CD that can auto kick off its own install.... So, even if you have the right file you can't just write it to a recordable CD as if its bit of data or a word doc... it needs to be written as is, which is often called "create image" within the burning cd software

If you got this far... then its about emptying the DVD drive on the car putting the CD in slot 1 and then getting the car in the engineering mode to tell your comand to do something with the CD

If you got this far and the CD runs, yet about 10 mins later there's no fix, then the author now thinks the overall comand software telematics software is so far out of date it doesn't recognise the update.... (aka earlier than 2008) in which case go to a dealer and get the car sorted

Do it with the engine running, its only 10 mins

Attachments

• W221-11-Jan-2020-Clock Fix LI82.85-P-069468_Ver_2.pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have the file downloded and the hash number matches. the problem seems to be when i try to burn the iso file to the CDR.
what is quite odd, is just how often the person posting a file gives no insights to users how to identify the integrity / validity of the file they have posted... and then how often people have no understanding and no tools to see if you have the right file....

the "file hash" is for want of the right words the "hallmark" of the downloaded file. With a simple tool you can check if the hallmark of the file you've now got, is an exact match to the one they guy wanted you to have...

its both a critical security step - making sure you got the file and not some nasty virus, and reassurance that its in a fit condition to do what you want... (which if its reprogramming the software on you car its a very good idea)

because the author of the file was a sensible chap he's given us the "hallmark". So the first thing to do is install a tool that allows you to check the hallmark of your file and compare it to the original... ONLY when you know you got the right file and it wasn't modified by some HACKING SCUM / or YOUR ISP / ANTIVIRUS DIDN'T DESTROY IT, can you start to think how to get the "ISO image" written to a CD

in the "zipped folder" you download is the .iso file you need and the instructions

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html with that tool on your PC verify the unzipped (unwrapped) folder, has the .ISO file with it's matching MD5 file hash of D316983FCC0A9E3D8090959524C80F2B

An .ISO file is a weird beard "image" (aka copy) of the info that's on a CD that can auto kick off its own install.... So, even if you have the right file you can't just write it to a recordable CD as if its bit of data or a word doc... it needs to be written as is, which is often called "create image" within the burning cd software

If you got this far... then its about emptying the DVD drive on the car putting the CD in slot 1 and then getting the car in the engineering mode to tell your comand to do something with the CD

If you got this far and the CD runs, yet about 10 mins later there's no fix, then the author now thinks the overall comand software telematics software is so far out of date it doesn't recognise the update.... (aka earlier than 2008) in which case go to a dealer and get the car sorted

Do it with the engine running, its only 10 mins
Thanks again! - the hash number on the iso file matches so I assume the file is OK. The problem seems to be when burning it to a disk.

The iso file in the "zipped" folder is shown but when its burned there are different files/folders on the CDR - screen shots below

Attachments

• CDR CONTENTS.jpg
    CDR CONTENTS.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 9
  • ZIPPED FOLDER.jpg
    ZIPPED FOLDER.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 9

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Looks Like you have made the disc....

for other's another sensible step is to turn the computer in to grown up mode....

hide extensions for known file types... UNTICK, that way you have half a chance of seeing which is the .ISO file,
you ONLY burn the .ISO on the CD

Disc.jpg

Last edited:

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Botus

Thanks again - yes I have these files on my disk but my Comand won't read them?? Tried a Sony, Verbatim and Maxell CDR disk - none worked??
I think I saw a post from someone else with the same problem and Polar Bear suggested it may be because of out of date software
CDR CONTENTS_page-0001 (2).jpg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
so do you have the bird's eye 3D map view... this is basically the big update that should have got yours in the right place to accept the update?
and have you been able to get into the real engineering mode to set the update off?

Update (Medium).jpg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
and thus seen this …. (for about 7 minutes)
1_e6eddf0216fd4a6db8f1f146df89e542df4e78c0.jpg

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so do you have the bird's eye 3D map view... this is basically the big update that should have got yours in the right place to accept the update?
and have you been able to get into the real engineering mode to set the update off?

View attachment 67336
Yes I got the birds eye view update and I get the screen above but not the "VESPUCCI" update screen. I will run it again and take a video of what I get

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
does the DVD drive in the comand unit play a pre made Music CD OK ?
then with the update disc in slot 1
having got to the Eng screen
you scroll down to Software-Update and press comand knob ?

as far as I know the update "appears to run" but doesn't fix anything …. was the failure mode some have seen....

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Botus - it plays CD's and DVD's no problem. Did a map update not that long ago without a problem?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
when do u put the disc in the slot?

always do all actions (putting in the disc etc.) after the car has been started to ensure battery voltage in a good place
I did mine only playing the FM radio ( I guess trying with TV, DAB or Aux running might add a bit more fun you don't need to introduce)
it must be the ONLY disc in any slot (some have a 6 disc changer)
it must be in Slot 1

I put the disc in and it knew it found it, then went in the eng mode and triggered the update taking 10 mins start to finish,

the Merc instructions are slightly different to the ones the author started life with... but the files on the disc are exactly the same....

you could TRY these instructions and see if it helps

Check / turn the lights off from the auto position, then start the engine - and then let it idle.
Ensure you don't have a Nav destination set up.
Put the Audio option to FM radio.
Eject all optical media from the CD/DVD Changer. Insert the CD‐ROM you created into Slot 1.
On the top menu bar that reads Navi, Audio, Telephone, Video, Vehicle, use the Comand knob to select Vehicle.
Then pull the Comand knob to the bottom menu where System, Settings, and Display OFF, is highlighted.
Select Display OFF and press the Comand knob. The COMAND screen will turn off but the unit will still be operating.
Then follow the next steps VERY CLOSELY. You will need to perform four actions simultaneously.

o While the display is off, press the “*” button, (referred to as the “Favorite” button) and typically actuates the rear sunshade and hold it down.

o While holding “*”, press the Comand knob to the Right without pressing it down or turning it.

o While the “*” is pressed and the Comand knob is held to the right, press the Seat Massage button and hold it (its to the right of the Hazard switch).

o While holding the “*” button, the Comand knob to the Right, and the Seat Massage button, press the Mute button, (which is the button located below the VOL dial and has an icon with a speaker with a slash though it).

When this combination is performed successfully, you will have reached the Engineering Menu.

MAKE SURE “COMAND” IS SELECTED ON THE TOP MENU, now using the Comand knob, pull it toward you to move the focus to the lower list of options. The first is System Reset and the second is Software‐Update.

Turn the Control Dial to the right to select Software‐Update while the CDROM that you created is in Slot 1.

The COMAND unit will restart, and “Software Missing” will appear, (which is perfectly normal). Shortly after, you will see a progress bar moving across, indicating the COMAND is copying the new firmware to the COMAND unit.

When it reaches the end, it will restart automatically. You may then eject the media and the update is complete

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom