Shaking under braking

jurmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 W210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Above 60mph under hard braking it judders so much that the steering wheel shakes. Any ideas. My father drove the car on the motorway and noticed that one of the front wheels needed balancing. Could it be this simple.
Warped disc, kerbed wheel or something to do with the braking system.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This will be a front disc and a common problem,,easy to change, and not expensive

Markieboye

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320CDi Estate 255000 miles
^^ as Malcolm says. Had it on mine and fixed by replacing the front discs (along with pads of course )

Regards
Mark

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as above. warped discs

OP
J

jurmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 W210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Thank you for the replies, I have only been on this forum for a little while but I am very impressed with the level of knowledge and experience here compared to other forums. One more question, when I do replace the discs pads should I just go for the standard ones or are there any which may improve the car's braking ability.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All known makes are good, you could fit EBC red ceramic pads, they have a very good bite, keep the wheels cleaner, but they will wear the disc a little quicker. EBC green pads will give the same performance as you have now, but the wheels will stay cleaner.
Firms like GSF and Euro sell good brake parts, as do the local motor factors that supply the local garage trade, MB are not that expensive on some of these things, in my case my local parts supplier got me Zimmerman disc at ½ the MB price a saving of £100 in my case, and they are OE to MB

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Just be aware that non standard pads run the risk of causing brake squeal. Experienced that with pads supplied by Euro parts and they were supposed to be OE parts. Had to remove them and buy from MB to get rid of problem. MB have reduced their pad prices to be competitive in recent times.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just be aware that non standard pads run the risk of causing brake squeal. Experienced that with pads supplied by Euro parts and they were supposed to be OE parts. Had to remove them and buy from MB to get rid of problem. MB have reduced their pad prices to be competitive in recent times.

EBC pads do not squeal,,, as do anything from TMD as they are all OE to MB and only the cardboard box is different

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom