Shipping a car battery

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Does any one know of a courier that will ship a car battery within the UK? Need to send a Tayna battery back under warranty but they do not arrange any shipping for returns. Any help appreciated, thanks

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
I see your problem Bob, probably a lot of companies if not all wont handle them as they are classed as explosive or corrosive items which pose a threat to employees

OP
bob 6600

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it's mad because these couriers obviously ship them out in the first place! Nuts.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably might still come in dry in licensed containers Bob but once acid goes in them they are classed different. I remember filling new batteries with acid when I was a young trainee in an garage over the summer. Not sure how new batteries are supplied new now?

Last edited:

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where did you buy your battery?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems a bit ironic that you can buy them from E-Bay shipped to your door filled with acid but cant send them back. double standards for couriers or guys on E-Bay aren't telling couriers the truth? maybe time for you to bend the truth?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pulled this from a seller advertising on E-bay using royal mail as delivery.
"PLEASE BE ADVISED UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE BATTERIES TO BE RETURNED VIA ROYAL MAIL, THEY ARE PROHIBITED AND SHALL BE DISPOSED OF BY THEM. IF NECESSARY WE ARE ABLE TO ASSIST WITH COLLECTIONS WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE IF REQUIRED VIA COURIERS WHOM ACCEPT BATTERIES".
They must know some courier that collects?

OP
bob 6600

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a family member's car battery and I'm not sure exactly where he bought it from - will ask (only bought in January).

I've thought about 'bending the truth' but there are a couple of problems.

1. They will dispose of it if found
2. Parcel would not get handled properly and more importantly could cause damage or worse injury by not doing so. Not worth it.

Doing some Google searches it definitely seems like couriers have agreements in place for companies that want to use them for batteries. Definitely double standards.

There must be a way for a sealed battery.

Thanks for your input so far Kev

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I returned a Tayna battery once that was damaged in transit and they arranged for the pickup of the damaged unit by the same driver who delivered the replacement but I don't recall who the couriers were, give Tayna a call tomorrow?

OP
bob 6600

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I returned a Tayna battery once that was damaged in transit and they arranged for the pickup of the damaged unit by the same driver who delivered the replacement but I don't recall who the couriers were, give Tayna a call tomorrow?

Damaged batteries are different, they have no choice but to pick them up.

Try UPS Bob.

Less than a year ago someone on Pistonheads wrote that he had a battery collected and returned. Cost him £13 19
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1846349 .last couple of posts.

I read that thread too last night whilst searching Roger lol, thank you. Yes I came to the same conclusion although at first it was unclear if they would allow it or not. I then tried to book a shipment and it was coming out at around £45 :eek: due to a complicated order form. However, I did book it in for collection today for £11.99 door to door (£9.59 if you drop it off to a hub) which is a great price for a next day courier, plus the fact the parcel is 18.5kg!

Thank you for all the replies and effort to help me resolve this. Just to add, I did declare it as a car battery so no short cuts :)

P.S. Thank you whoever moved this thread to electrics. I posted it in benz bin as it was courier related but thanks

OP
bob 6600

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To close this off, battery was posted on Monday, arrived there Tuesday. There was no communication in between but then an email was received stating a new battery had been shipped and it arrived Thursday PM. Can't fault the service (apart from not collecting the battery) but reading some other posts, might have got lucky.

Oh and surprisingly, the new battery came via DHL
wallbash.gif

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
To close this off, battery was posted on Monday, arrived there Tuesday. There was no communication in between but then an email was received stating a new battery had been shipped and it arrived Thursday PM. Can't fault the service (apart from not collecting the battery) but reading some other posts, might have got lucky.

Oh and surprisingly, the new battery came via DHL
wallbash.gif

Good result!

And now you mention it, it was actually DHL that delivered from ECP....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom