Should I be concerned?

allmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270CDI
Hi guys, picked up my 54 reg CLK270 CDI from a dealer in Shoreham yesterday, good car in all but something makes me think. I found out there was an advisory issued in its last MOT last month. Someone had tried to remove it from the MOT certificate but I saw a small portion of the pink sheet on the staple. Asked abour it and they pulled the record online and told me the advisory was about a near limit rear left tyre(only one for some unknown reason which they replaced by a cheaper non matching thread tyre), chip in the windshield (to be repaired next week) and front brake pads near limit (they replaced those). Also when I asked for an HPI certificate, it showed up with a CAUTION-PLATE CHANGE, which they explained it to have to do with the car having had a private number at some stage. Anyone cares to share his/her opinion on this with me please? Am I worried unduely?

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
All minor things really --but nevertheless expensive to the dealer as they should be corrected if it were a sale at an agreed price beforehand -unless sold as seen ?-you can go to the MOT station and obtain a copy yourself-so why do they not show it to you in the 1st place ??--I would never replace one tyre always in pairs on my own cars and good quality too -it will affect handling / road noise ect.,--are the discs worn along with the pads I wonder they usually are ?--are the new pads MB and as for windscreen once insured -it can be renewd for the excess-usually £50 ?-I would not drive around with a repaired one in a newly purchased car.These are my observations on what info you have given---having said all this did they give you a warranty with the sale -is so make sure it covers parts and labour,

Last edited:
OP
allmerc

allmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270CDI
Thanks for your insight. I will chase the MOT station and will also call up the 2 MB dealers where the car was serviced uptodate to confirm the details. I agree with you on the tyre but its difficult to push them for two matching new tyres as the other 3 are all as good as new(almost). I managed to get a one year WMS warranty from them included in the deal, parts and labour. So you think I should push for a windsheild replacement instead of a repair?

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
You can check your MOT history yourself here.
As for the windscreen, I had a number of chips repaired on one of my other cars and there's no problem with that. The repairs are structural rather than optical meaning you can still make out where the chips were in the right light but you do get a guarantee with it. I'd rather repair than replace personally, why pay the excess and risk leaks/windnoise etc. from a replacement screen when a repair is all you need?

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
I agree with Roadhog --The windscreen argument is a matter of personal choice really

OP
allmerc

allmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270CDI
Well, I too agree with Roadhog and thats the route I will take. I just wanna make sure that the log book belongs to the same car and the same service book, etc. Will start by checking the site Roadhog has sent me a link too. But above all, so far I simply love the car, what a pleasure and priviledge to own it.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring

coolhans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Present 2004 W211 E500, 1995 W124 E320 CE Coupe.
Windscreen repair

I had a small windscreen crack in my E300 TD repaired by Autoglass recently. It cost me £10.00 for the excess on my insurance and afterwards I couldn't see where it was no matter what angle. Really excellent repair, I would recommend that route.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom