Side light flashing

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 B class Exclusive Plus B180
hi all happy new year
I have an odd problem with my 2010 c class
When I get out the car and lock it the o/s front side light stays on sometimes then it will flicker then go off and come back on again, so I unlock car open door shut it and lock it and sometimes it stays of but sometimes it flickers again.
Has anyone heard of this ?
Any help would be much appreciated Dell

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
New one on me.... but sounds like something is arcing in the loom, maybe related to interior lights as it comes and goes with the door action.

OP
Dell

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don’t know if it makes any difference but the wife said the light was on again o/s front and back,so I went out and put light switch on auto and the lights went out, and never came on when I locked the doors.
Dell

fifthwheel

Reaction score
I have had the same thing on my 2010 c180 w204. It was very intermittent. I found the bonnet lock on the offside was seized, so lubricated both sides until the springs returned to rest as they should and have never seen the fault since. It was probably nothing to do with the sticking locks but the electrical switches in the locks were being held open or closed whichever it was. It started with the front sidelight staying on after the car was locked. Then later the rear sidelight joined in, the car could be left for hours then the next time I looked at it the sidelights were on. I also noticed the rear light flickering as though it had a bad connection. It didn't do this if the sidelight switch was on. As I said maybe just a coincidence but I have not seen the fault now for over a year. John.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Most likely a fault in one of the SAM Units, possibly dampness causing the units to malfunction. A Star machine will check these and locate the faulty item.... Blow drying with an airline and then a hair dryer usually works to restore these.

OP
Dell

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for reply’s
What and where is the SAM unit ?
Just found an article from a forum in USA stating that they had same problem as me and it turned out to be the light switch.

Last edited:

fifthwheel

Reaction score
I have had the same thing on my 2010 c180 w204. It was very intermittent. I found the bonnet lock on the offside was seized, so lubricated both sides until the springs returned to rest as they should and have never seen the fault since. It was probably nothing to do with the sticking locks but the electrical switches in the locks were being held open or closed whichever it was. It started with the front sidelight staying on after the car was locked. Then later the rear sidelight joined in, the car could be left for hours then the next time I looked at it the sidelights were on. I also noticed the rear light flickering as though it had a bad connection. It didn't do this if the sidelight switch was on. As I said maybe just a coincidence but I have not seen the fault now for over a year. John.
Sorry to jump on somebody else's thread I suppose I should start a new one. I have just looked outside at the car and my o/s sidelights are back on again, I spoke too soon! john

OP
Dell

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try putting headlight switch on auto that’s what I have done and my n/s lights have not come on since, it would be nice to see if it will cure yours as well.
Dell

Top Bottom