Sl 350 almost cutting out

robbie49

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes SL350 2004
Hi every one, lately my 2004 SL has developed a fault after a long run up the motorway when i come to a stop my engine seems to want to cut out although it hasn't actually done so as of yet, it has only happened 3 times so far, the idle speed varies a little when i stop.:confused: MB say its my mass air censor and have to be replaced at a cost of £350, can anyone verify that this is the possible cause of car wanting to cut out. and is there any way i can clean this censor, and how would i go about it, cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If it is the MAF then about £150 from any Bosch service center, maybe cheaper from ECP if they have a good make.

What is the mileage of the car, they can be cleaned but the elements wear out and not that successful, easy to replace

vauxhallmaniac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/SLK320 Special Edt/SLK320 "Tinkerbelle Edition"
Hi Robbie cleaning the MAF is a waste of time, buy a genuine bosch one dont fall in the trap of the aftermarket ones off ebay they rarely last long and some are poorly calibrated. As Malcolm says your local Motor Factors should be able to source one. Bosch is the manufacturer supplying the part to Mercedes so your getting the same part and save ££££ for not having the merc logo on the box :D

OP
R

robbie49

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes SL350 2004
thanx for the advice,

thanx for answering my post on MAF , the car has only covered 68000 mls and is in mint condition, i will try and buy one as advised . any tips on how to go about changing it and what pitfalls to watch out for cheers guys :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You just take off the air cleaner and the air cleaner fits over the top of it at the rear of the engine, just unplug the electrical plug and release the clamp and it pulls out. There is no way of knowing how long they last, and STAR does not always bring this up on a test, so if you are sure, thats what you do.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom