Sl 350 front shock absorber

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
hi peps been getting bad creaking noise from front drivers side when going over bumbs,been told it's the shock or ball joint at bottom of shock ,does it come as one unit ,ball joint with the shock,and were to buy one ,merc wanted £240 with the vat is that a good price ,thanks peps

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
you can buy the ball joints for these now i posted a link to a german company selling them .tho that was for abc r230 and i have heard that some were removing sl350 bottom ball joints to fit in sl500/600 so i guess they are the same, beware ,i have removed one ,they are in f, tight and care will be needed getting the old one out,IF that turns out to be YR issue the link is somewhere in abc strutts or r230 strutts ,i think, was a few yr ago, also there are a few places injecting plastic material into them to refurb also noted on here if you search. if the strutt itself is shot, think yr comitted to replacement ,think yrself lucky it aint ABC. the joint refurb guy was in liverpool area, i spent 5 min trying to find post on ball joint supplier, sorry no luck. .

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
you can buy the ball joints for these now i posted a link to a german company selling them .tho that was for abc r230 and i have heard that some were removing sl350 bottom ball joints to fit in sl500/600 so i guess they are the same, beware ,i have removed one ,they are in f, tight and care will be needed getting the old one out,IF that turns out to be YR issue the link is somewhere in abc strutts or r230 strutts ,i think, was a few yr ago, also there are a few places injecting plastic material into them to refurb also noted on here if you search. if the strutt itself is shot, think yr comitted to replacement ,think yrself lucky it aint ABC. the joint refurb guy was in liverpool area, i spent 5 min trying to find post on ball joint supplier, sorry no luck. .
Think it's more likely the ball joint itself so I've been told ,but thought it was part of the shock,will have look at this injection material on here . Don't mind a drive if it can be done same day and sounds like it would turn out cheaper ,than replacing

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Chances are if one side is on the way out the other won't be far behind and personally I think it's always best to do both sides at the same time.

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Chances are if one side is on the way out the other won't be far behind and personally I think it's always best to do both sides at the same time.
If I go down the resin route will get both done ,just trying to find somethink about this on here ,if anyone knows more on this please let me know,also do you have to take them off ya self or just drive car to the peps and they do the lot ,if anyone knows ,thanks

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We re resin them, normally for play/wear not squeaking. Can be done on the car.

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
We re resin them, normally for play/wear not squeaking. Can be done on the car.
Oh right ok ,thought some were on here it said you don't do that,anyway would they not creak or is this the shock making the noise ,bit confused now ,would come down to you and get them done if I thought it would solve the prob

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
If I go down the resin route will get both done ,just trying to find somethink about this on here ,if anyone knows more on this please let me know,also do you have to take them off ya self or just drive car to the peps and they do the lot ,if anyone knows ,thanks

you have to remove them, or at least thats how it was . understand some currior them as said was liverpool or close, understand it can be done somewhere in the south now as well, someone will read and opost details

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
do post how that goes.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
heres the seller in europe,think dutch or german you might have to work yr way thru to find it ,they do all sorts of ABC stuff ,tho thats not going to help you. i have just looked at the ball joint that came out of L.K,S strut and seems correct the retaining lip is at the bottom , so it CANT get pulled thru.

https://www.ebay.de/str/originalabchydraulikshop

and that magnet filter is a damn good idea for 230 as well origional DAFT design ?? filters out AFTER its been thru the valve blocks. at least thats how i see it ???

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Well got it booked in the guys at star in reading for next Friday ,bit of a drive but if it gets rid of the prob then well worth it the guy I spoke to think is name was Simon sorry if I got that wrong been a long day he's not convinced it's coming from that ball joint on shock,but we will see ,anyway it's a day from work and if weather ok good excuse to have top down

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Went out yesturday in car and creaking drove me round the bend ,,if I push down on the wing now it makes the noise ,will be glad to get the lads at star in reading to look at it on Friday

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Let’s hope it’s still making the noise when you come down, if not take note of the side and record it? See you Friday.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Isn't creaking normally the bottom balljoint on the lower arm?

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Let’s hope it’s still making the noise when you come down, if not take note of the side and record it? See you Friday.
Thanks yes it will def be making the noise ,and deff drivers side,any way look forward to meeting you ,and hopefully sort it ,had the car nearly 4 years now and still love it apart from normal wear & tear it's been great

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom