SL 500 Driver Side Door Pocket

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
HELLLLLP i am trying to find the long black plastic hinge for the door pocket lid on the drivers side and the two alloy loops for the central locking pins that lock the lid shut. VIN is wdb1290672f112642 i have looked on the Russian site and the picture on the L/H/S of the page is my style of door trim no hinge showing except in the picture on the R/H/S which looks like the new style door trim. My family MB parts person is lost too.

any/all help appreciated

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All complete with door panel David, and not a brilliant design idea

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This has come up before, and the lid is not listed as far as I know, I will have my own EPC shortly,

What is the trouble with the one that you have

OP
Flying Scot

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
This has come up before, and the lid is not listed as far as I know, I will have my own EPC shortly,

What is the trouble with the one that you have

The hinge on the door card leaf is broken in two places and a few of the hollow legs that are used to fix it to the door card are broken as well. Also both of the rear hoops on the right and left side pockets that are used by the central locking to lock the door pocket lids closed are broken. The hinge is a horrible plastic that wont glue i have tried a few glues including polystyrene cement. I will see if i can get two complete door cards off a crashed SL 500.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
David if there is a car body works near you, they use a special new glue to repair all of the plastic car front clips on the panels, it the type where you apply the glue and spray it with a curing agent, its worth asking

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
The hinge on the door card leaf is broken in two places and a few of the hollow legs that are used to fix it to the door card are broken as well. Also both of the rear hoops on the right and left side pockets that are used by the central locking to lock the door pocket lids closed are broken. The hinge is a horrible plastic that wont glue i have tried a few glues including polystyrene cement. I will see if i can get two complete door cards off a crashed SL 500.

I had the same problem on mine when first I bought it . Directly behind the lower edge of the hinge is a metal bar on the back of the door card , can you not drill through and use the black trim fixing screws that are easily available more or less anywhere . I did this on mine and you would never know unless I told you .It works perfectly including the locking mechanism . I will photograph and post if you need some thing visual .

Last edited:
OP
Flying Scot

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
David if there is a car body works near you, they use a special new glue to repair all of the plastic car front clips on the panels, it the type where you apply the glue and spray it with a curing agent, its worth asking

Thanks for that idea Malcolm I had thought about the local motor cycle guy when i was doing a total renovation of my Honda VFR 750 they welded the cracks in the plastic fairings and did an amazing job so i will try there first.

OP
Flying Scot

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
I had the same problem on mine when first I bought it . Directly behind the lower edge of the hinge is a metal bar on the back of the door card , can you not drill through and use the black trim fixing screws that are easily available more or less anywhere . I did this on mine and you would never know unless I told you .It works perfectly including the locking mechanism . I will photograph and post if you need some thing visual .

Thanks for that idea - yes i can make this work with a number of workarounds i am sure. I have the door card totally stripped. I foolishly assumed that i could get these parts easy peasy. It does not even look like i can find second hand door cards and the local MB Dealer it totally hopeless. I was wanting to fix this 'properly' with new parts or even good second hand parts. IF i have to i am sure i can get the hinge 'plastic welded' As a fall back i was going to use the black screws suitably shortened and with a flat end to FIX the posts back onto the non moving part of the hinge and then use the posts to hold the hinge onto the door card and through the black steel reinforcing plate as per the normal installation.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Thanks for that idea - yes i can make this work with a number of workarounds i am sure. I have the door card totally stripped. I foolishly assumed that i could get these parts easy peasy. It does not even look like i can find second hand door cards and the local MB Dealer it totally hopeless. I was wanting to fix this 'properly' with new parts or even good second hand parts. IF i have to i am sure i can get the hinge 'plastic welded' As a fall back i was going to use the black screws suitably shortened and with a flat end to FIX the posts back onto the non moving part of the hinge and then use the posts to hold the hinge onto the door card and through the black steel reinforcing plate as per the normal installation.

Second hand door cards are like rocking horse sh## and just as expensive and a new card is around £500 as you've probably found out.

OP
Flying Scot

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
Part numbers

just found two part numbers on the hinge so off to the local MB Stealer to rattle their cage :)

they are 129 7272488 and 129 7270455

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
just found two part numbers on the hinge so off to the local MB Stealer to rattle their cage :)

they are 129 7272488 and 129 7270455

There are some lids on Ebay

Top Bottom