SL 500 M113 engine intake manifold mystery port causing rough erratic idle / loudness

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C250D Coupe / Ex SL500 R230 - CLC V6 - Crossfire V6 - W203 C230k Coupe
Hello forum

Simply put, I had a problem with the car (detailed below as it may relate to your problem) and I have found the cause but do not know what part is missing?

its the black port on the intake manifold - like a speedfit or pushfit connector? here is a library image.
Intake1.jpg

741730d1390188033-m119-m113-throttle-body-port-polish-1131400701-intake-manifold.jpg

After several days and nights of searching M113 engine, breather hoses, crank hoses, diagrams (I couldnt find any diagrams for the engine on google) I could not find an answer to what fits in this port? Can anyone help me? there are no apparent hoses hanging about and noticed the CLK500 has pipes going to it?

thank you

The story...

I have a 2003 SL 500 I believe the M113 engine which I used push start to fire up however let go of the foot brake too early causing premature crank/ false start. I then started properly only to find the engine tone was very loud and the car stalled and would not hold revs. I managed to keep revs going and car idling however it was not normal, very hesitant, chugging, erratic, stuttering etc.

Now, I could hear a strange suction noise from the engine bay so investigated and removed airbox system and maf - cleaned and refitted all to no result. I then found a hole (something missing) and once popped my finger in to block this hole the engine returned to normal running.. so as per 1 short 3 reply thread I had found during my searches it seems the false start had forced some sort of plug or bung out of place...

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
vacuum pipe to servo fits in that hole,

OP
S

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you !

I think I'll have to look again to see of I have missed a hose or pipe hanging loose I didn't see one when I checked and assumed it was a bung or stop cap .

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
On your SL you will have SBC braking, so no servo hose. Your car will have had a bung in that hole, as you suspect. It is white in colour if I remember correctly.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
On your SL you will have SBC braking, so no servo hose. Your car will have had a bung in that hole, as you suspect. It is white in colour if I remember correctly.

Didn't read model just engine type. :)

OP
S

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you both for the input. Good to know what it's function / purpose was too.

I cannot find the loose bung anywhere in engine bay, does anybody know where I can find a diagram showing part no for that bung maybe I can get one from mercedes or do you think I will be ok making up a secure bin g?
Thanks once again was very hard to get the info after much searching

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ask your local dealer, they will want their own part number.

Try a cap from a bottle in the k|tchen for now, you can tape it on till the correct ones comes.

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
You could try taking down the under tray see if the Bing is sat on that.

OP
S

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys

Im not driving the SL at the moment luckily so can wait to get the right part its quite a small opening very much like a plumbing speedfit pushfit connector . Funny enough I saw what looked like a black bottle cap on the driveway but disregarded it as road debris I wonder now after your suggestion if that had been used before ... hmm I hope not

I'll give mercedes a call and post back if I make any progress.

Undertray idea seems logical as have not driven car since then so may very well be sitting there

Last edited:
OP
S

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi guys I called mercedes UK and a chap at parts sent me the diagram with part no whilst staying on the phone and I have identified it as part no A0039970286 and no 62 in the intake manifold diagram its known as a cap costing 8.75 gbp plus vat.. Sounds alot for a cap but its engine related and has such a vital effect on the running of the car so has to be the original item..
Its Also used in other mercedes vehicles so if you have symptoms described above then it's worth checking..
The air filter housing must be popped off to find this area and best to use a torch and put bonnet hood into service mode allowing it to open up fully.

You can put the part no into Google images

This will solve my problem as when I pop my finger into the hole it pulls hard via engine suction and car quietens down , suction noise is gone and idles correctly also then allows the car to lower it's revs as per normal when you start the car first time it's louder for a few moments then calms down.

Mods, Can we get this marked as solved?

Thank your everyone for your time in helping me solve this, it's saved me a lot of headache.

Last edited:
Top Bottom