SL 500 MAF(?) problem.

xtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208 Convertible 320. Vauxhall Astra estate (yuck!) Jeep Cherokee 4.0.
Yes, I'm back again! I only ever seem to post when I have a problem, which is very rude of me, but guess what, I have a problem!

Ever since I've had the car it's had a hesitation if you press the throttle hard from tickover, .5 of a second and its gone so no great problem andnot noticable when driving. However, it's started to get worse and it will hesitate (very slightly) if you accelerate from a standstill.

So, in my infinite (!) wisdom, I decided it had acquired an air leak so had a look today. Sure enough, there was a couple of dodgy vaccum pipe connections so I replaced those, but then noticed that by the air intake, there's a round five pin plug disconnected. Now, I have never touched that before so I plugged it in and screwed it up tight. Started the engine and it "hunts" at tickover like you wouldn't believe. However, the hesitation was gone.

Disconnected the plug again and all is back to normal: smooth reliable tickover.... and a hesitation!

So is this the MAF? If so, how the hell do you get the thing out? I had a look round the sides and can see no screws (not that you'd be able to get to them if there were!) and can only assume (yes, I know) that the complete round cylinder it's attached to has to come out - HOW!?

Sorry for the rambling post (all of mine are:( ) and I promise to TRY and be more of a team player in future.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sounds like a purge valve fault more than the MAF

OP
xtriple

xtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where is the purge valve? Would that cause the Maf to need disconnecting?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was it the MAF that was disconnected, the purge valve sits on the nearside wheel arch on the inner wing wit a vacuum pipe going to it

OP
xtriple

xtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes. Apparently. Disconnected it runs fine apart from a hesitation, plugged in, it hunts at tickover and even comes close to stalling.

Oh, and good to see you're back, I missed you Malcolm.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice to be back then yes the MAF has failed I think, the car will be more economical with a new one,,, try ECP for a good make and not Ebay, or ring your local Bosch service center

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom