SL fuel tank problem

OP
S

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
The whole of the rear half of the car has to be gutted to get it out,,I can send you a PDF on it.

My friend is away from home re finding out exactly how he pulled it out, but there is a big hole to work from with the pump removed

Please do send on the pdf if it is no trouble.

Very helpful once again, thank you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Please do send on the pdf if it is no trouble.

Very helpful once again, thank you.

Cant do until this evening,,can you remind me so that I see the post ;) again

OP
S

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
Malcolm, a reminder to send the PDF document if you can please.

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It will be many :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have printed off the main sheet with the outline and removal of the drive shafts etc

Take a look first

Email address please

OP
S

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
anish73 @ gmail 'dot' com, Thanks

OP
S

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
Just a reminder Malcolm, email address above.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it :D:D

we are having a proble at the moment where new post do not always show up

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hello all, just had one turn up here! not sure where we will go with it, but will quote for a new tank initially. will let you all know how it goes, especially if we go for removing the baffles.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hello all, just had one turn up here! not sure where we will go with it, but will quote for a new tank initially. will let you all know how it goes, especially if we go for removing the baffles.

I asked my friend and they pulled it out by using long blacksmiths tongs by winding it up, the top hole is quite large, It is only the 1 baffle that was added.

I do not have this baffle,,and I can say that any sound from fuel sloshing around is minimal, and I have never noticed it

OP
S

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input so far, thought I would provide a brief update.

I am still in discussions with MBUK about a goodwill gesture as it should be embarrassing for them to have so many of these fail on such a premium car. No news yet on whether I will get anything.

I have spoken to many dealers just to get a view on pricing and something that surprised me somewhat is the huge difference it can make just by phoning around. I started with quotes in the region of £2500 all in. Within minutes I had managed quotes around the £1500-£1700 mark. Judging by some of the quotes that I have had from indies, this price point seems to be very good for a main dealer. I guess they really need the business at the moment.

I intend to get this resolved over the next week or so and if I get a good deal or excellent service from a main dealer or Indy I will post up here as I am pretty sure I will not be the last to have this problem.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wrote to MB 3 weeks ago and so far heard nothing

Good luck

OP
S

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
do you have the same problem Malcolm? The dealers tried first and got a no to goodwill. I rang customer services and got a no, escalated and got another no. Finally I wrote to the MBUK MD and am waiting.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
do you have the same problem Malcolm? The dealers tried first and got a no to goodwill. I rang customer services and got a no, escalated and got another no. Finally I wrote to the MBUK MD and am waiting.

My car does not have that extra baffle, it is that fact the all 4 struts have failed,, 2 at 12k miles and the other 2 now when coming up to 40k I have paid for the first 2 with a tiny discount from MB.

They really do take the **** out of us,,charging you for their faulty welding, and charging me for parts that are free in the USA

A

andy@pcd-ltd

malcolm you would be better off emailing them as i have an issue with a cracked alloy on a cls 320 and they got back to me the following day and have been in contact with them ever since

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
They really do take the **** out of us,,charging you for their faulty welding, and charging me for parts that are free in the USA

Response in the US possibly helped by the willingness to go for "Class Action" where multiple individuals join together to fight the big guys, whereas here we each have a go independently.

There must have been enough people here in the last 12 months to have formed something more than a simple annoyance to MB - you, me (last car though) & Helen (where has she gone? I miss her input) to name but three that spring (ho ho ho) to mind

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
& Helen (where has she gone? I miss her input) to name but three that spring (ho ho ho) to mind

That was my fault,,she was very rude and nasty to a new member on his tying skills, and I had a go at her over it,,and she has not posted back since

OP
S

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
My car does not have that extra baffle, it is that fact the all 4 struts have failed,, 2 at 12k miles and the other 2 now when coming up to 40k I have paid for the first 2 with a tiny discount from MB.

Couldn't agree with you more. the fuel tank has had 2 or 3 iterations in its design, everyone knows about it and still MBUK refuse to accept it as a design flaw. Makes you wonder how much else may fall apart or fail !

I have found customer services very responsive (if not always helpful) so I would call them and send an email as back up, has worked for me so far.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Couldn't agree with you more. the fuel tank has had 2 or 3 iterations in its design, everyone knows about it and still MBUK refuse to accept it as a design flaw. Makes you wonder how much else may fall apart or fail !

I have found customer services very responsive (if not always helpful) so I would call them and send an email as back up, has worked for me so far.

OK I will do that :D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
That was my fault,,she was very rude and nasty to a new member on his tying skills, and I had a go at her over it,,and she has not posted back since

in all honesty, Malcolm, this surprised me. from memory nothing you said was harsh, impolite or out of line, IMO, and i thought that she, of all people, would be mature enough to accept your comments, brush them off and move on. it seems this was not the case though

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom