SL hard top storage

magenta_sl320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
It's time to drop the hood but I have no space in the garage to store my panoramic hard top and the local MB dealer in Eastbourne stopped storing them a few years back. Anyone have any solutions or know of someone in Sussex or Kent who may have suitable storage units. I have a roof stand already. Many thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,how about hanging it from the bedroom ceiling, or would her indoors object ;):D

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
I leave mine in my father's. He has a big garage. Thats no help to you unless it gives you an idea of somebody you know that has lots of space.

There is also the option of hanging it. There is a pulley unit available for this.

Pascal

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Being serious these things are very heavy. You must take care to put some plastic sheet on the floor under the hardtop, as the rear bottom edges are prone to corrosion. Damp coming up through the floor, does damage the paint and I have seen a few where this has happened.

Are there not any storage firms that would take it

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
I hang mine horizontally from the garage ceiling on rails lifted by a similar pulley arrangement to the old fashioned drying racks.

The pulleys and suitable rope are available from the likes of B&Q.

This keeps it well ventilated and out of the way.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Being serious these things are very heavy. You must take care to put some plastic sheet on the floor under the hardtop, as the rear bottom edges are prone to corrosion. Damp coming up through the floor, does damage the paint and I have seen a few where this has happened.

Good point Malcolm. Even using the approved stand, I have managed to cause slight damage to the anodised trim around the back of the hardtop. Purely cosmetic, but annoying.

I would advise that, when removing the hardtop, put the cotton cover on first, then move to upright position on the stand.

Alternatively, can be stored on a hoist but I do worry that gravity might eventually take over!

popuptoaster

Reaction score
i used to leave mine out in the back garden, its not like its not water proof is it? its out in the rain when its on the car.

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
i used to leave mine out in the back garden, its not like its not water proof is it? its out in the rain when its on the car.

!! surely when its on the car it is sealed via the window seals etc etc - so rain cant get in - what about the interior roof lining?!

Mine will be carefully placed in my shed once the restoration is over and the car is on the road in the summer. its currently fitted to the car.

OP
M

magenta_sl320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
Thanks to everyone who replied, to the serious and not so serious! I have asked for a quote from Lok'n Store in Eastbourne and it works out at about £7.00 per week (even with so-called offers and reductions, you have to pay £2.00 a week at least for insurance). It looks like I'll have to store it in the garden but I'll need to find some heavy duty tarpaulin or similar, or perhaps there's a plastic storage unit that might fit. In France I used to store it in the wine cellar!!! And for the benefit of Television, bless 'im, I am "'er indoors"!!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Thanks to everyone who replied, to the serious and not so serious! I have asked for a quote from Lok'n Store in Eastbourne and it works out at about £7.00 per week (even with so-called offers and reductions, you have to pay £2.00 a week at least for insurance). It looks like I'll have to store it in the garden but I'll need to find some heavy duty tarpaulin or similar, or perhaps there's a plastic storage unit that might fit. In France I used to store it in the wine cellar!!! And for the benefit of Television, bless 'im, I am "'er indoors"!!

At those storage/insurance costs you are getting close to throwing it away and buying a new one each year!

Is there no prospect of an informal deal with a neighbour who might have some space? I would certainly do it for a fellow enthusiast, but I fear I might be rather far away.

Full marks "her indoors" for doing this yourself. Why not go for a role reversal and tell the "hunter gatherer" that it is his problem?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

So sorry thats the first time that I have used that expression.

I will try and work out something for you, it must not be a sealed bag as it will sweat with the differences in temperature changes.

B & Q sell garden storage boxes with lids and double doors, I can measure one for you in the morning

popuptoaster

Reaction score
!! surely when its on the car it is sealed via the window seals etc etc - so rain cant get in - what about the interior roof lining?!

Mine will be carefully placed in my shed once the restoration is over and the car is on the road in the summer. its currently fitted to the car.

the rain never got onto the inside of mine, i just use to leave it "nose down" in the corner, plenty of air circulation kept it fresh, the kids used to use it as a garage for their toy cars so they didnt have to bring em in at night, looked as good when i sold it on as it did when i bought it, no need to baby these things, they were nicknamed "Panzer" in the factory for a reason ya know.

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
I don't know what the dimensions of the hardtop is but would it go inside something like this?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...07492|Sheds+and+garden+buildings|12107631.htm

7053225SPA65UC260664X.jpg

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
There are smaller tool lockers available for < £100 but I can't tell if the hardtop and sand would fit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are smaller tool lockers available for < £100 but I can't tell if the hardtop and sand would fit.

The hard top on the stand is under 6 feet tall, as far as I can remember its 1.460m wide , and very shallow

OP
M

magenta_sl320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
I am really impressed with all your suggestions and time spent on helping me, thanks and a virtual glass of wine to everyone concerned, including 'im outdoors' aka Television! I'm afraid I plumped for the easy option and took up Lok'n Store. It works out at around £220 for 8 months storage - hopefully next year I'll be in a better position to store it myself.
Many thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am really impressed with all your suggestions and time spent on helping me, thanks and a virtual glass of wine to everyone concerned, including 'im outdoors' aka Television! I'm afraid I plumped for the easy option and took up Lok'n Store. It works out at around £220 for 8 months storage - hopefully next year I'll be in a better position to store it myself.
Many thanks again.

Its a long time since I had a "er indoors" in fact the only thing in my life that is soft and warm now is the cloth that I have used to polish the SL My problem is that I worked too long hours every day and not much company.

Pleased that you fixed up for this year anyway;):D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom