Sl leaky boot and cab

Andrea Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350
Please can anyone who owns an SL 400 advise if rain water leaks into the boot or the cab. I am thinking of buying one, but I have had so many leak problems with my current (2005) SL350 that I am nervous to do so. I heard this was a known fault with the R230 but that they'd fixed it on the R231. Is this true?
Thank you for any help
Andrea Turner

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
My '55 is currently bone dry, it helps if you treat the seals with gummi pfledge or similar. There was water in the passenger footwell when I bought the car, but I dried it out and applied the heater drain box mod, so far still dry. It also helps to keep the car garaged, which I realise is not possible for everyone. Any car, especially a convertible will leak eventually if you don't keep on top of it.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
as far as i know benz have never really fixed this ,unbelievable but there it is. its a lottery some leak some dont ,i was lucky ,at least on that issue mine never did. if you get a dry one and its pse pump equipped 4 do yrself 400 ? a big favour, lift the pump and put ,i did sheet foam ,about 4mm thick in a zipbag under pump,carefully. then at least if water get in it dont destroy yr pump, near as bad lock you out of the boot. use blade key now and then as well.

OP
A

Andrea Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350
Thank you for your help, I was afraid this would be the case, and unfortunately we don’t have a garage to keep it in. It looks like I’ll have to reconsider whether an SL is the right car. Perhaps a rag top would be a better option, maybe the E400 4matic. It’s gonna be sad though as I love my SL, just not the pool within it.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. Andrea.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you tried looking for the exact point the water is getting in? You could do a smoke test inside the car and look for where it escapes or use talc on the areas around seals to see where it's coming from.

OP
A

Andrea Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350
Have you tried looking for the exact point the water is getting in? You could do a smoke test inside the car and look for where it escapes or use talc on the areas around seals to see where it's coming from.
No I haven’t, we had all the boot seals changed 10 years ago and it made no difference, so Ive just put up with it, used absorbant pads etc, but that’s a great idea. I’ll do that. Thank you

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I don’t think the R231’s leak anything like as much as the R230’s. We’ve a few 231 owners on here and I’ve not read any leak threads from them. Morning

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Thank you for your help, I was afraid this would be the case, and unfortunately we don’t have a garage to keep it in. It looks like I’ll have to reconsider whether an SL is the right car. Perhaps a rag top would be a better option, maybe the E400 4matic. It’s gonna be sad though as I love my SL, just not the pool within it.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. Andrea.

I have no leaks - it is frequently driven in the rain and often gets pressure washed. I do Gummi Pflege every 6 months or so. Did the same on my SLK for 4 years and had no leaks either.

OP
A

Andrea Turner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350
That’s reassuring to read, thank you for your response and help.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I also believe the 231 has solved the leaky issues
From what we’re hearing from the owners the 400 is the one to have with the nice compromise in avoiding ABC too...

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Hi Andrea and all, the SL has it in terms of style without a doubt and you would hope they sorted these errr 'minor' issues in the 231! But as you mentioned a possible compromise with a soft top, my E is water tight, only the odd jet wash reveals the odd drop getting under the top seal. An E class drop top with the 6 or 8 cylinder is certainly a nice thing and possibly a good compromise (with 2 extra seats), other models are available of course :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I also believe the 231 has solved the leaky issues
From what we’re hearing from the owners the 400 is the one to have with the nice compromise in avoiding ABC too...

I have ABC in mine - I also follow a couple of USA forums and while admittedly not many have had the courage / foolhardiness to buy ABC, I've seen no reports of issues on any forum.

The R231 must be going on 8 years old now?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom