SL350 M272 engine down on power?

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
Probably a really silly question, but will the car only 'select' to deliver full power when set into sport mode.

I ask because I recently had our SL350 with the M272 engine at GAD for a remap. They found the engine well down on power, but managed significant improvements during their remap. And well done them for that!

STAR produces no error codes. GAD, it their testing found a happy engine.

Now, in old codger mode, I know the car is more lazy, starts off in 2nd gear and changes gear much lower down the rev range. Also the engine/transmission electronics adapt over time to the normal driving style, which for me is generally quite relaxed!

Does anyone know if the MB engineers also decided that in Comfort mode the engine should have its output reduced, knowing that maximum power would probably never be called for, in order to improve longevity/reliability/economy/whatever.

I understand that for many years now some car engines switch off some cylinders either with light load or in certain other circumstances (eg slippery roads/ice etc) to better manage the situation as perceived by the car.

Does anyone know if the M272 engine in the SL350 is instructed by its management system to drop its output when in Comfort mode? Seems to me not to be beyond the bounds of possibility, particularly when you consider the current thrust of 'car manages driver' not 'driver controls car'

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As far as I'm aware the S/C button only changes gearbox operation.
The M272 doesn't do selective cylinder disabling as far as aware (possibly an option as some engines do).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The M272 doesn't do selective cylinder disabling as far as aware (possibly an option as some engines do).
As per above (on my R171 anyway) - it goes up sooner and stays up in C compared to S - although if I want to "go" I hold the lever to the left to get it into the lowest gear ready to fly :D
Fairly sure it doesn't shut off any cylinders.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Isn't it just gear /rev change points and a little sharper on the throttle response?

There is the option pack of dynamic handling pack that also makes adaptive suspension changes (I have that) but in essence it will do the same speed, just take a little longer to get there (as on n/a engines, revs equals power?)

Cylinder deactivation is a relatively new 'thing'

You could just use the paddles though on yours....

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Check your variable inlet tract is working smoothly.

OP
C

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clutching at straws to find a logical solution

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
On the inlet manifold there is a lever with a link rod to a diaphragm. The lever controls which path the inlet gasses take into the engine. A short path is good for power, a long path for torque.
I suspect he's asking about that link rod.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
My gf’s 350sl sometimes felt flat and other times flew. Couldn’t really pin point an actual problem.

OP
C

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My gf’s 350sl sometimes felt flat and other times flew. Couldn’t really pin point an actual problem.
Well, car is booked in with you guys on Wednesday for a looksee and hopefully an all clear in the engine/transmission dept
I have messaged you about the meeting

OP
C

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, car is booked in with you guys on Wednesday for a looksee and hopefully an all clear in the engine/transmission dept
I have messaged you about the meeting
Met up with Ian today in Reading. Very knowledgeable guy. He took the car for a drive and pronounced it to be OK.
Ian - many thanks for taking an interest and for reassuring me that there really is nothing I should be worried/concerned about

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom