SL500 2003 - Sticking in Park !

Paul Isaacs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Hi,
Hope someone can help. My SL500 2003 Has started to "stick" in park. I say stick - so far I can wiggle it beyond park into gear , but I am terrified it will fail me and render the car immovable. The only clue I have is that when pressing the brake and taking the car from Park, there is a slight click noise somewhere from behind the steering wheel area - as if taking it from park is sending a message to solenoid somewhere ?

Any ideas on quick checks to help identify problem ? As I say - I don't want to get stuck or break anything on the selector by forcing it.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Could be a number of things. The brake light switch or, in the transmission control unit there is a plastic part which breaks and doesn't allow the car out of P. You can replace that part with metal...or leave it out altogether.

OP
P

Paul Isaacs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
The slight clicking noise is comming from the ignition switch .... but only when you wiggle the gearstick.

Ordered brake switch as seems the easiest way of eliminating one of the items ... but could cl8cking ingnition on gear wiggle from park be symptomatic ?

OP
P

Paul Isaacs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
The slight clicking noise is comming from the ignition switch .... but only when you wiggle the gearstick.

Ordered brake switch as seems the easiest way of eliminating one of the items ... but could cl8cking ingnition on gear wiggle from park be symptomatic ?

OP
P

Paul Isaacs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003
Could be a number of things. The brake light switch or, in the transmission control unit there is a plastic part which breaks and doesn't allow the car out of P. You can replace that part with metal...or leave it out altogether.
If this plastic part breaks - is it a case of you cant get it out of Park or can it be forced ?

At the moment I would say the gear stick is only slightly sticking in Park, but obviously concerned it will get worse rather than better !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That clicking you are hearing is definetely the brake switch, so I am (almost) certain that will solve your issue
However the plastic part mentioned is near the solenoid so a bit of a strip down job.
If it gets stuck in Park IIRC there is no manual override so it’s a recovery job on a low loader.
As you’ve said do the brake switch, monitor then if you’re having the same problem get the part replaced ( Mercedes independent job )
Edit: sorry didn’t answer one part- you could force it out of park but with brute force and a great potential to wreck something else in the process !

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
If you leave it until the plastic piece breaks completely you will struggle even more! The forward one of the three bolts that holds the unit in the car has a pin that prevents its removal unless the car is out of park. I have been left with this to resolve on plenty of occasions!!! I'm not about to reveal my method for resolving it either! Well, only if you ask nicely!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Plus its very difficult to remove selector rod, as this designed only to be removed in drive, and selector is very tight in hole unless the selector is in neutral due to rod facing forward. we have two in at mo, waiting for replacement park levers.

Top Bottom