SL500 - knack for removing spark plug leads?

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Hi Everyone

Changing plugs is normally a fairly routine operation, but on the SL, not only do you have 16, but the leads seem very reluctant to come off. I started the job, but found that the leads certainly wanted to put up a fight! I've got some lead 'pliers' that can get a good grip, but when levered against the rocker cover the angle just doesn't work right. On the fourth lead I managed to snap the plug! After struggling to remove the broken plug from the lead I decided I should regroup and come up with a better plan...

I've read that a spanner can be used, but it strikes me that would have the same problem in terms of the angle. Is there a special tool and/or can one be fabricated?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Andrew

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We use one of these, works a treat.

Attachments

• AFB05208-FAE7-44BA-9194-66B695B2A844.jpeg
    AFB05208-FAE7-44BA-9194-66B695B2A844.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Thanks for getting back to me. I take it the offset/cranked end means you can apply force in a better direction.

Cheers

Andrew

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Means you can apply force indeed, nice one , I’ve never owned a tappet adjusting spanner !

OP
A

AJBaird

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
I've bought an old offset ring spanner from eBay and will get the grinder out...

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Andrew

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom