Sl500 not manual shifting

Nikskin

Reaction score
Website
www.pristinerepair.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
hi
I recently purchased a dream car of mine, a 2002 SL500, on the drive home it was fine but since then has develloped a problem.
When i slow to take a corner it doesn’t change down so it stays in a high gear making it very sluggish after the turn, i tried manually changing down by tapping left but it didn’t function.
Have i bought a dog?
Only has 53k on the clock.

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this for me.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
There are some fluids that you should check have been renewed, ATF, ABC fluid, brake fluid and engine oil. As John said your issue may be related to needing the ATF renewing.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
If the ATF was low you would find that if you flung the car around a corner you would lose drive until you had been stopped for a few seconds. I don't think that's it. And considering it changes in other circumstances that also does not point to fluid.

Although old atf isn't good, it doesn't mean you'd lose manual if it was otherwise working as it should.

When you do nudge the lever to the left what shows on the dash board?

You need the codes read.

OP
N

Nikskin

Reaction score
Website
www.pristinerepair.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
If the ATF was low you would find that if you flung the car around a corner you would lose drive until you had been stopped for a few seconds. I don't think that's it. And considering it changes in other circumstances that also does not point to fluid.

Although old atf isn't good, it doesn't mean you'd lose manual.

When you do nudge the lever to the left what shows on the dash board?

You need the codes read.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom