SL500 - preventing damp sponge in boot

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I noticed that the sponge covering the pump in the boot was a little damp today (whilst i was getting the spare tyre changed!) and it got me thinking about how/if it could be protected in some way so that if water does get into the boot, then the sponge wouldn't soak it up.

So the idea I had was to try and use some of the plastic (or whatever its made of) material that is used for damp proof courses. My thinking being that I could slide it under the sponge between the boot floor and the sponge and also on the top of the sponge and the sides. That would maintain the protection that the sponge provides as well as protecting the sponge itself from water.

Anyone done anything similar? Would this increase the chances of condensation forming etc?
Am I being completely stupid?

Thanks

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If the sponge gets wet its a warning that you need to address a boot leak. There's a good guide written by Malcolm (RIP) to sorting out boot leaks.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
If the sponge gets wet its a warning that you need to address a boot leak. There's a good guide written by Malcolm (RIP) to sorting out boot leaks.

Yep, I have the sealant ready - just waiting to find a time to actually do the work - weather has been particularly rubbish. Partly why I thought I'd see what else I could do that isn't weather dependant.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
If it's wet I'd run it without the foam while waiting for warmer weather. There are only four bolts which allow the roof pump to lift out, then you car get to the PSE & take the foam off. I ran mine sitting on a couple of foam rolls - as long as it cant move out it'll be fine (the foam takes a long time to dry out, so you can at least do this!)

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
If it's wet I'd run it without the foam while waiting for warmer weather. There are only four bolts which allow the roof pump to lift out, then you car get to the PSE & take the foam off. I ran mine sitting on a couple of foam rolls - as long as it cant move out it'll be fine (the foam takes a long time to dry out, so you can at least do this!)

That seems like a good idea. Will try that. Was a bit wary of starting to unbolt stuff around the pump in case I caused some damage. I have some harder foam somewhere that I could use to rest it on in the meantime.
Anything to watch for whilst doing this? Is it really as simple as 4 bolts?!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
It really is - a extra hand (or two) will help, but I've done it on my own. You lift off the top cover, undo the four bolts (10mm I think) and then slowly lift the roof pump out the way over to the side (the hoses don't have to be removed) but it will sit there. Then take out the top PSE pump cover & lift the entire unit out the lower bit (again don't have to undo anything) & remove the lower foam.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks - will try that in the next couple of days...

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Forgot to ask - presuming I get the seals sorted soon anyway, what did you think about the idea of using DPC material under the sponge as a belt and braces approach?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Will it contact the pump?
Does the pump get hot in use?

Does DPC handle heat ok?

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Will it contact the pump?
Does the pump get hot in use?

Does DPC handle heat ok?

Not sure on either of those. I suppose once I unbolt it as mentioned above I'll know more. But I'm now thinking that maybe something like a roofing membrane might work better as its meant to allow vapour to escape one way - at least I think so, will explore a bit further. Bit like putting a goretex jacket around and under the whole assembly.

Just had a quick look and you can definitely get breathable membranes. Should be flexible and pliable enough to get a good fit.

Stability

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
I’d take the sponge and give it a good squeeze you’ll probably find it’s quite oily/watery ( boot leaking water/ roof pump sweating oil )

Milton Keynes normally have them stocked for app. £30

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
If it's wet, you're better off checking boot seals.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!

Yep, will be doing this fix as well. Have the sealant ready, just waiting for the weather to be a bit better. Was thinking that even if I get the seals done, it might be worth using some breathable material around the pump/sponge as well.

What I don't understand is - how would the sponge get wet if the seals are leaking? Can't work out what route the water would take.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i lifted the pump a little and put quarter inch fairly dense foam sheet in a plastic zipper bag ,freezer type then fed that under pump ,i have no leaks ,did malcs mod,check 18 months ago no then either,but know its good.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
This has just reminded me that I placed a plastic carrier bag over my pump when I noticed water dripping into the boot and onto the floor which then dripped on top of the pump. I have since carried out the nicely detailed procedure courtesy of Malcom's post, but believe the plastic bag is still there :geek:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom