SL500 problems?

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
A friend of mine is looking at buying a 02 to 04 SL500, but he has heard of horror stories with regards water leaking via the hard top.

Is this a real problem, what else should he be looking for ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is only where cars have been bought without the hard top and one sourced elsewhere.

You cannot just go and buy one and put it on. All four corners need to be set up.

This is as easy job with the right paper work that I supply, any leaks will only come from the top rail, and even here you just remove the metal strip, re mastic and refit.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
This is only where cars have been bought without the hard top and one sourced elsewhere.

You cannot just go and buy one and put it on. All four corners need to be set up.

This is as easy job with the right paper work that I supply, any leaks will only come from the top rail, and even here you just remove the metal strip, re mastic and refit.

Not on an 02-04, they have the vario roof like yours.

Personally, I've had no problems at all with mine with the small exception of having to have it adjusted.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not on an 02-04, they have the vario roof like yours.

Personally, I've had no problems at all with mine with the small exception of having to have it adjusted.

Helen I completely missed the year mentioned as the word hard top was used, and should have been folding top.:D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will re answer. :D Roof leaks are not a problem on the 230, and if there are any they are easy to adjust.

Where the leaks occur is in the boot area, most can be re sealed with good results, though none will be 100% perfect in torrential rain for long periods.

These cars are now on their third set of modified rubbers, to replace them all cost £3800 plus fitting. My 2002 car has the original rubbers and re sealed by me and it is pretty good now in this respect,and not a problem

OP
Miffy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for this, whats involved in DIY resealing ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for this, whats involved in DIY resealing ?

Dead simple,,all you need is a tube of loctite sealer, and attend to 2 main area's, by lifting the trunk seal and sealing 2 places, and removing the 3 nuts at the bottom of the rear screen, sealing it and re fitting

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I think I will post what I was recommended by somebody on this forum, and that is not to buy an SL that has damp in the boot.

I must admit though, that mine seems very well sealed even after very heavy and prolonged rain. Maybe I was lucky?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I will post what I was recommended by somebody on this forum, and that is not to buy an SL that has damp in the boot.

I must admit though, that mine seems very well sealed even after very heavy and prolonged rain. Maybe I was lucky?

There will always be tell tail signs of any water in the boot, and the spare wheel must be removed to see it. stains will show up as white powdery dust in the corners and under the pumps and wiring harnesses.

When it is raining you cannot open the boot without water going in

OP
Miffy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks everyone, ill let him know your thoughts :)

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
agree with all above - I'm on my second SL - the first had some problems in the boot but I got that sorted myself, the current one is bone dry

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

Quite right Helen, there is nothing worse than a damp boot!

I would avoid a car with any evidence of moisture inside the area that should be sealed. Moisture may have got there because of poor seals, but it could also be as a result of rear end damaged improperly repaired, and just working on the seals might not solve that.

On a separate note, I once had a 10 year old TR3a which shipped water in the boot at every opportunity. The boot lid looked convex from the outside and, although it was fastened in each corner, leakage was guaranteed.

I then had a thought worthy of the 2 Ronnies - I'll drill a hole in the boot floor and create gravitational drainage.

On further reflection, I realized that would take me down into the petrol tank, so I did not do it - but I wouldn't mind betting it has been done somewhere, by someone!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom