SL500 (R230) replacing filters

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Given lack of recent servicing - despite low mileage - I am thinking B service whihc should change engine/combination filter plus check plugs, fit 3 micron filter on ABC and change 7G oil+filter.

Id it worth a new replacement/additional magnet in gearbox sump?

My service booklet doesn't mention changing the transmission oil at all.

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
I'm expecting my SL to only do approx. 4000 miles a year hence I wasn't thinking of yearly servicing. My plan is to service one year and replace ABC and brake fluid the next year on a rolling schedule.

Sounds a good plan; I am anticipating a similar mileage.

Kersidan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 2011 e350 cdi sport estate 265, S211 e280CDI Sport (gone), S210 e320 CDI Avantgarde (gone)
FWIW on my long gone SL's that did even less miles per year (circa 2,000) I still did an annual engine oil and filter change. So easy to do yourself and for the cost a no brainer.

Mark

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
From my service book and general online info I will be following the intervals below on my SL500.

Change/Renew Interval
Engine Oil 2yrs
Fuel Filter 4yrs
Activated Charcoal/Combination/Dust Filter 2yrs
Spark Plugs 4yrs
Air Cleaner 4yrs
Brake Fluid 2yrs
ABC Fluid 2yrs

That seems like a sensible approach and I think its good to have a schedule in mind.

My next B Service is due in 12,500 miles or so so I might get some of the things on this list done in advance of that - thinking of ABC fluid specifically as don't know when that was last done.

Cheers

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Bizarrely MB have no service schedule for ABC fluid change. I had mine done at 57k and it was quite black and well used. Luckily though no metal particles.
ATF fluid is common sense, doesnt cost much but well worth the change at 4 years /37.5k.
Ive just had a large scope service and every filter changed, including K&N for the air intake filter (2) so I'm expecting not to touch much except engine oil for the next 4 years (he touches wood several times!!)
2016 was an expensive year!
Stuff I've had done proactively/stuff which has been unplanned...
Complete detail in and out and 'Kamikaze' paint protection
Exhaust modification, rear boxes stripped out and larger bore through pipes
Front passenger SAM replaced
Replaced front grille due to cracked distronic cover
Front ABC struts lower ball joints resin repaired/rebuild
ABC fluid change and rodeo
NSR ABC strut completely replaced with new genuine MB part
Front chip repair and spray in/blend
Front lower intake grilles replaced/after market DRL lights removed
4 x Dunlop Wintersport 3D Winter tyres fitted
Steering column module replaced
Front fuse box cover replaced
Large scope service, all fluids and filters (including K&N air filters), also all plugs (16)
New Mats (custom ones, then replaced by genuine MB ones)
Smart top roof module upgrade fitted (can remotely open and close roof and also open and close up to 25mph now)
Map updates installed
MB Factory software and firmware updates
......think that was all
2017 (so far)
Utility battery ordered
Celtic tuning remap arranged/ordered mid Feb ..
you can tell I love this car!

Last edited:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
As with the transmissions (sealed for life) so to is the ABC fluid. These were sealed at factory and with no dirt to get into the system there will be no reason to change any of the fluids. Mercedes say that there is more of a chance of contaminants getting into the system is there were scheduled service changes. I am guessing sealed for life is governed on the manufactures intended life expectancy of that particular vehicle ie 5 years 10 years????
I did have the ABC fluid changed in our SL last year as it was a slight brown colour and to be honest has made no difference to the car. To do the fluid change successfully one would have to do 3 flushes as I don't think you can entirely drain every bit of the fluid out of the system.
I think this is right what I say?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mine was black and quite disgusting! Light brown wouldnt have been such a concern.
You're right, MB do claim a sealed system, but....ABC components fail, who'd have thought it? Guess what happens when components fail?
So then yes more than one flush is probably right, change strut and rodeo should do it mind...

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Mine was black and quite disgusting! Light brown wouldnt have been such a concern.
You're right, MB do claim a sealed system, but....ABC components fail, who'd have thought it? Guess what happens when components fail?
So then yes more than one flush is probably right, change strut and rodeo should do it mind...

Your right about the failures I think the first to fail is the Struts?
I had Giles (on here) do a Star and the rodeo on ours, very funny to watch :lol: Though I preferred the car with the lower stance, though not practical on our Fenland roads :mad:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yip struts and if the fluid falls low (why would it, not like the struts fail lol), then the pump,all of which lead to contaminants.Yeah the rodeo is quite entertaining, I have a video which is on my Indy's facebook (MD Motorcare), if you look on the visitors posts there you will also see a video of the smart roof being tested, pretty cool

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Bizarrely MB have no service schedule for ABC fluid change. I had mine done at 57k and it was quite black and well used. Luckily though no metal particles.
ATF fluid is common sense, doesnt cost much but well worth the change at 4 years /37.5k.
Ive just had a large scope service and every filter changed, including K&N for the air intake filter (2) so I'm expecting not to touch much except engine oil for the next 4 years (he touches wood several times!!)
2016 was an expensive year!
Stuff I've had done proactively/stuff which has been unplanned...
Complete detail in and out and 'Kamikaze' paint protection
Exhaust modification, rear boxes stripped out and larger bore through pipes
Front passenger SAM replaced
Replaced front grille due to cracked distronic cover
Front ABC struts lower ball joints resin repaired/rebuild
ABC fluid change and rodeo
NSR ABC strut completely replaced with new genuine MB part
Front chip repair and spray in/blend
Front lower intake grilles replaced/after market DRL lights removed
4 x Dunlop Wintersport 3D Winter tyres fitted
Steering column module replaced
Front fuse box cover replaced
Large scope service, all fluids and filters (including K&N air filters), also all plugs (16)
New Mats (custom ones, then replaced by genuine MB ones)
Smart top roof module upgrade fitted (can remotely open and close roof and also open and close up to 25mph now)
Map updates installed
MB Factory software and firmware updates
......think that was all
2017 (so far)
Utility battery ordered
Celtic tuning remap arranged/ordered mid Feb ..
you can tell I love this car!

Now that is an impressive list of work! Serious investment no doubt!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Now that is an impressive list of work! Serious investment no doubt!

Erm yes! Haven't totted it up accurately but c7k i guess/prefer not to think about it too much and enjoy!

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Debate elsewhere on the forum suggest that although not in any service plan a change of transmission oil is a good idea. Depending on gearbox either 37,500/4 years or at 75,000 miles.
Couple of you tube videos relate to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwtN49SOag

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc

Nicholas

Gearbox oil change is definitely in the service schedule for a change at 38k miles. Run your SL through www.lite.servicemercedes.co.uk and enter the mileage as 40k.

ABC fluid change is a no brainer- its a complex hydraulic system and running it in dirty oil isnt going to maximise its life.

Manufacturers have no interest in making cars last a long time so "sealed for life" means the manufacturers design life not the customers desired life, which could well be literally miles apart

Happy new year to you all:)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Gearbox oil change is definitely in the service schedule for a change at 38k miles. Run your SL through www.lite.servicemercedes.co.uk and enter the mileage as 40k.

ABC fluid change is a no brainer- its a complex hydraulic system and running it in dirty oil isnt going to maximise its life.

Manufacturers have no interest in making cars last a long time so "sealed for life" means the manufacturers design life not the customers desired life, which could well be literally miles apart

Happy new year to you all:)

Totally agree and happy new year to you too....that link doesn't work for me by the way...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I'm expecting my SL to only do approx. 4000 miles a year hence I wasn't thinking of yearly servicing. My plan is to service one year and replace ABC and brake fluid the next year on a rolling schedule.

I am sure that is fine, will you be using mobil1, for engine oil that is excellent stuff.

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
On eBay you can get Mercedes 229.51 oil £35 delivered for 10L ....that is so cheap you can change it every year . Maybe consider doing your engine air filter every 2 years rather than 4 ...cheap job if you diy it .

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I am sure that is fine, will you be using mobil1, for engine oil that is excellent stuff.

Yes, Mobil 1 is my prefered oil. I could do the oil change myself but would rather pay for someone elses time than give up my own :D

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yes, Mobil 1 is my prefered oil. I could do the oil change myself but would rather pay for someone elses time than give up my own :D

Me too, horrible job without a ramp, I would think. Unless you have one of those vacuum jobbies.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Vacuum jobbys make it clean and easy with a cuppa on the go :p

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
On eBay you can get Mercedes 229.51 oil £35 delivered for 10L ....that is so cheap you can change it every year . Maybe consider doing your engine air filter every 2 years rather than 4 ...cheap job if you diy it .

Do you have a link? I can only find 5l for £35.

Thanks

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom