SL500 (R230) replacing filters

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
including K&N for the air intake filter (2)

If these are the oiled type and you experience poor engine running in the future check your MAF for oil contamination.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
I thought Wighty was talking about Mobil 1 engine oil, i have seen the cheaper oil on ebay.

No he was talking about Mercedes 229.51 which is the low ash oil. When I used Mobil 1 I found one of the cheapest places to buy was Costco.

On eBay you can get Mercedes 229.51 oil £35 delivered for 10L .....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If these are the oiled type and you experience poor engine running in the future check your MAF for oil contamination.

Cheers Alan, don't think they are but I'll double check

Kersidan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 2011 e350 cdi sport estate 265, S211 e280CDI Sport (gone), S210 e320 CDI Avantgarde (gone)
IME don't use oiled K&N filters on an SL (or any other Merc for that matter). Just go with original MB filters.

Mark

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I thought Wighty was talking about Mobil 1 engine oil, i have seen the cheaper oil on ebay.

Sorry for any confusion , yes I was talking about Mercs own 229.51 spec oil ... I am sure that Mobil 1 is good stuff , but by how better a percentage these days , maybe 1 or 2 % if it even quantifiable . Not sure it justifies twice the price over Mercs own oil .
I normally just search 229.51 on eBay to find the oil , but I see someone else had already put the link up .

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
MB dealer has informed me that the activated carbon, combination and dust filters are all in one on my SL500

Bit of a thread re-boot. Just wanted to check that this was the case - the activated carbon, combination and dust filters are all in one? Bit confusing on the service book as they're listed separately. Reason for asking - I know the combination filter was changed 15k / 3 years ago, but wasn't sure about the others. If they're all the same thing then I don't need to change them yet.
I was about to buy some filters so thought I'd check as was sure there was a thread about it here from earlier.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Bit of a thread re-boot. Just wanted to check that this was the case - the activated carbon, combination and dust filters are all in one? Bit confusing on the service book as they'r listed separately. Reason for asking - I know the combination filter was changed 15k / 3 years ago, but wasn't sure about the others. If they're all the same thing then I don't need to change them yet.
I was about to buy some filters so thought I'd check as was sure there was a thread about it here from earlier.

Thanks
I only changed the combination filter (the one under the kick panel in the passenger footwell, I couldn't find any others.

konrad1511

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 year 2000, SL 350 2003, 450SLC 1976
Have a look at this:

thanks You all for the help. I have taken those filters out today and everything is bone dry and the filters are as new and not smelly. I now believe the horrible smell comes from the pump in the left side of the boot as when i put my nose near it it seems to have a similar smell, and somehow that smell must get into the cabin. Roof still not opening, it says the separator is not closed, and about 2 weeks before that problem the central locking stopped working with the remote control on the key, but the lights are flashing, nor central locking working from the button on the dash, nor does the boot opening work from the button in the drivers door.....

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
How healthy is the consumer battery in the boot, we had the exact issue will our 05 SL500 only to discover the battery was only ready 13.6 odd volts.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
thanks You all for the help. I have taken those filters out today and everything is bone dry and the filters are as new and not smelly. I now believe the horrible smell comes from the pump in the left side of the boot as when i put my nose near it it seems to have a similar smell, and somehow that smell must get into the cabin. Roof still not opening, it says the separator is not closed, and about 2 weeks before that problem the central locking stopped working with the remote control on the key, but the lights are flashing, nor central locking working from the button on the dash, nor does the boot opening work from the button in the drivers door.....

The PSE pump is on the left side of the boot. It operates the roof, the central locking and the boot lock. Sounds like your PSE pump is goosed. Never heard of it smelling though, can you describe the smell ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The PSE pump is on the left side of the boot. It operates the roof, the central locking and the boot lock. Sounds like your PSE pump is goosed. Never heard of it smelling though, can you describe the smell ?
Not quite right....
The left side of the boot has 2 pumps.
The top one is the hydraulic pump for the roof. Under it in a stupid foam casing that holds water like a sponge is the PSE pump which is used for central locking.
The PSE pump is well known for getting soaked and failing.
When the roof operates it also uses the PSE pump to operate the boot lock in preparation for the folding activity.
No PSE, no locking or roof.
No hydraulic pump no roof (but central locking works fine).

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Not quite right....
The left side of the boot has 2 pumps.
The top one is the hydraulic pump for the roof. Under it in a stupid foam casing that holds water like a sponge is the PSE pump which is used for central locking.
The PSE pump is well known for getting soaked and failing.
When the roof operates it also uses the PSE pump to operate the boot lock in preparation for the folding activity.
No PSE, no locking or roof.
No hydraulic pump no roof (but central locking works fine).
That doesn't sound right, I've had mine apart, certainly don't recall seeing two pumps. When my central locking, roof and boot stopped working I had the PSE pump replaced, that fixed the problem. As I said, the PSE pump has failed.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That doesn't sound right, I've had mine apart, certainly don't recall seeing two pumps. When my central locking, roof and boot stopped working I had the PSE pump replaced, that fixed the problem. As I said, the PSE pump has failed.
Trust me I'm right on this.

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom