SL500 - what's this one worth?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Looks like bad news this one but what do you guys reckon it's worth? And how much to fix the points mentioned (never mind the one's not mentioned!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260511674309&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

A car like this in good working order would probably fetch £5-8,000 in the current market.

This one might come rather cheaper, but as a rule, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. If the vendors are as worldly wise as they claim, and the repairs are as straightforward as suggested and at the prices they estimate, then I think they would be getting it straight, valeting it and getting a good price for it as an attractive prospect, rather than selling it to the best bidder in its current state.

I would advise against it (and, as you say we don't yet have a full list of the deficiencies).

There are nice, well cared for cars around which should provide less challenge and better value.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I saw that a few days ago, nice car

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabrio (A124) - 1994
Can you shed some light 47p2?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I agree with AMG if it seems too good to be true, it probably is! The "nice" thing for vendors of cars from abroad is its virtually impossible to trace their history. I hate to think what getting an SL completely stripped down and repainted by Mercedes would cost even at 1998 rates?

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I just meant I saw it on ebay, it does look nice but as others have said, be careful

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably too much grief to really consider. Trouble is there are so many out there, no doubt most with some repair needed. I live in the middle - well north - of nowhere so not realistic to travel to look at 10 or so. And at £200 plus a time too dear to get a few inspected. I believe buying privately is probably a better bet as most traders are not overly truthful with descritions. In saying that.....

TVR mads has one on pistonheads. 60k mile 500SL, silver with dubious looking burgundy interior. I even like the cloth check trim which is rare, but that has to be a resale nightmare!

Anyone seen the TVR mads one?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably too much grief to really consider. Trouble is there are so many out there, no doubt most with some repair needed. I live in the middle - well north - of nowhere so not realistic to travel to look at 10 or so. And at £200 plus a time too dear to get a few inspected. I believe buying privately is probably a better bet as most traders are not overly truthful with descriptions. In saying that.....

TVR mads has one on pistonheads. 60k mile 500SL, silver with dubious looking burgundy interior. I even like the cloth check trim which is rare, but that has to be a resale nightmare!

Anyone seen the TVR mads one?

Help us out with a link please - we are not getting any younger! :confused:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thanks for that. very helpful.

That is a huge amount of car for the money - and a lot of dealer history. If it looks as good as it appears to be, drives well and everything works - go for it. A massively better prospect than the resprayed import - and probably cheaper too.

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
therein lies the question. If its as good as it looks!

Needs the 60k service done apparently - or at least a big service. I like the "standardness" of it. Will call them tomorrow...

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have decided against the one on ebay. Too much to do. However, the tvr mads one may be worth a look. Acquired taste interior so perhaps thats why it hasn't sold. Been on sale for ages as £6995, £6500 now £5500 so obviously want rid.

Setanta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W140
I remember calling about that car a while back - I don't think that it had a panoroof.

Also, and without naming and shaming, save your time and do not bother seeing the following:

a 1999 SL500 silver with grey interior (including the wood) being sold from a dealer for around £11,995
a 1999 SL500 silver with blue interior being sold by a trader for £10,995

Utter rubbish.

On the other hand, the Convent Motors SL500 is not a bad example (some cosmetic issues) but probably £2000 overpriced in my opinion. Would be a good buy at £10,000

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I remember calling about that car a while back - I don't think that it had a panoroof.

Also, and without naming and shaming, save your time and do not bother seeing the following:

a 1999 SL500 silver with grey interior (including the wood) being sold from a dealer for around £11,995
a 1999 SL500 silver with blue interior being sold by a trader for £10,995

Utter rubbish.

On the other hand, the Convent Motors SL500 is not a bad example (some cosmetic issues) but probably £2000 overpriced in my opinion. Would be a good buy at £10,000

Good advice all round - but we have yet to see pics of your little beauty - don't be shy now! :D:D:D

OP
lanciaman

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that. very helpful.

That is a huge amount of car for the money - and a lot of dealer history. If it looks as good as it appears to be, drives well and everything works - go for it. A massively better prospect than the resprayed import - and probably cheaper too.

Any of you chaps near Bradford who could go and look at one for me?:D

Setanta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W140
Good advice all round - but we have yet to see pics of your little beauty - don't be shy now! :D:D:D

I have only driven it once and has been sat there for a few days now, let alone taking a photo. I wil give it a clean and polish and then the photos will be up.

Not sure whether it was the most practical of cars to buy since the roof will not fit in the lift and we live 5 floors up. :(

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom