SL500?

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Gents
Now that I have the SL500 at home, can I ask for your advice on a minor issue
The COMAND unit has been replaced with a Kenwood DMX7017DABS unit.

Is there any way the car clock can be altered without the original COMAND unit in place?

On down side of this car is the lack of a MB handook of any description
I plan to have a play with the seat setting tomorrow, I think I have this covered, but, may yet come to you for advice

I also hope to get some photos and will try uploading some, if you are interested

Thanks
John

Don't know about the clock, but you could probably get a handbook via Ebay - that's where I bought mine as my car didn't come with one either. If you go down that route, ask the seller to let you the version of the book he has so you can make sure its relevant fro your car - I think the main books are OK for all, but the Comand books are done by year(s).
Nice looking car you've picked up.

OP
Big Janner

Big Janner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
All
Had an extended play with the Kenwood head unit today.
Discovered that it should have a remote . . . . OK, £15.00 off ebay
Now I can't seem to get the DAB radio to tune in anything other than Radio 4 (fine) and absolute (urhg)
It doesn't seem to have satnav

SWMBO suggests we fine another head unit that has satnav, DAB we can tune, DVD player . . . . .maybe
Any suggestions?

Duhhh . .the SRS warning light won't go out!
Unless you gurus have an alternative suggestion, I plan to take the car to my local friendly independent garage next week and get them to diagnose the problem.

Thanks (again)
John

Note;
I seem to be asking a constant stream of questions, but contributing bu99er all.
I hope, as I learn, I can change that.

OP
Big Janner

Big Janner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Don't know about the clock, but you could probably get a handbook via Ebay - that's where I bought mine as my car didn't come with one either. If you go down that route, ask the seller to let you the version of the book he has so you can make sure its relevant fro your car - I think the main books are OK for all, but the Comand books are done by year(s).
Nice looking car you've picked up.

I'm printing a generic now
I'll do as you suggest and scout out ebay . . . Thanks

John

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
All
Had an extended play with the Kenwood head unit today.
Discovered that it should have a remote . . . . OK, £15.00 off ebay
Now I can't seem to get the DAB radio to tune in anything other than Radio 4 (fine) and absolute (urhg)
It doesn't seem to have satnav

SWMBO suggests we fine another head unit that has satnav, DAB we can tune, DVD player . . . . .maybe
Any suggestions?

Duhhh . .the SRS warning light won't go out!
Unless you gurus have an alternative suggestion, I plan to take the car to my local friendly independent garage next week and get them to diagnose the problem.

Thanks (again)
John

Note;
I seem to be asking a constant stream of questions, but contributing bu99er all.
I hope, as I learn, I can change that.
Erisin do a custom fit one for the r230 that has everything. They're often badged as other brands too.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/283047319531

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Congrats on the new car John, looks like a nice low mileage example. I have had mine for seven years and still love it despite reversing the landrover into it last week in the dark :(

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
PS, Radio 4 is fine, I leave my comand on that all the time.

OP
Big Janner

Big Janner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Congrats on the new car John, looks like a nice low mileage example. I have had mine for seven years and still love it despite reversing the landrover into it last week in the dark :(

Oops
Not expensive I hope

Yes . . . . We both like the car a lot, it's a keeper

John

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Oops
Not expensive I hope

Yes . . . . We both like the car a lot, it's a keeper

John
Not sure, I need to take it to a body shop for them to have a look. The dent is right on the N/S rear wheel arch lip, approx 1-2 inches across. Ouch.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not sure, I need to take it to a body shop for them to have a look. The dent is right on the N/S rear wheel arch lip, approx 1-2 inches across. Ouch.
Land Rovers aren't known to be kind to other cars bumping them....

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Land Rovers aren't known to be kind to other cars bumping them....

My '65 (ish) Morris Mini was stolen (this was about 1971).

I borrowed my dad's 1952 (IIRC) SWB diesel Land Rover for several months.

Fabulous vehicle to drive - people gave me loads of space on the road - no-one drove up my @rse and no-one parked me in.

Good times!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My '65 (ish) Morris Mini was stolen (this was about 1971).

I borrowed my dad's 1952 (IIRC) SWB diesel Land Rover for several months.

Fabulous vehicle to drive - people gave me loads of space on the road - no-one drove up my @rse and no-one parked me in.

Good times!
Ah the original mini... Possibly the only car easier to steal than a Land Rover!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Ah the original mini... Possibly the only car easier to steal than a Land Rover!
Yep - jiggle the window and slide it open - hand in, open door, 2 wires at ignition key and press the starter button on the floor! Off you go. Learned that when I lost my key out sailing.....

OP
Big Janner

Big Janner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Right gents, an update . . . .
Took the SL into my local motor Engineers, who, having buckled up the computer, diagnosed an off side pretensioner fault.
They cleared the fault, reset the system and the SRS light has gone out and is staying out.
Obviously a spurious report
Cost; £36, less than the cost of the fuel for the return trip to get the car back to the dealer.

To close the circle, I have sent an email to the dealer, detailing the fault, the actions taken and the result of said actions, all complete with dates.
This ensures that they can't later claim to have no knowledge af the fault.

All in all, a result I can live with.

Thanks for all the advice

John

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
OP
Big Janner

Big Janner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Thanks for this, I've watched it on ebay

I see you're in Ipswich, got my car not far from you

Privately or from a dealer in the area if you don't mind me asking, if so which one as it's always handy to know who may carry interesting stock. :)

OP
Big Janner

Big Janner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Privately or from a dealer in the area if you don't mind me asking, if so which one as it's always handy to know who may carry interesting stock. :)

Dealer in Needham Market; Marcus James Cars
Small independent
Seems to hold quality cars (XC90 / Jaguar / SL), but the lower price end (older / high mileage)
Reviews I read were good

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom