SL55 abc leak

Enigma AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W164 ML63
Hi guy's I am new here and would appreciate some advice regarding an abc leak the car is an 02 sl55. I have a leak coming from the front near side so I removed the wheel arch liner to get a better look. The leak is clearly coming from the upper most valve block (it has a hose in one end and out the other) and there is a plastic sender in the side of the valve block which is where the leak is coming from. So I went to the dealer who showed me an exploded diagram of the abc. The part that is leaking is a temp sender for the abc so I ordered a new one at a cost of £10. Now for the difficult bit, can I just replace the sender? I understand that the system is pressurised will it help to put the car on a ramp so the wheels are dangling to reduce pressure? Is it possible to bleed the system manually if necessary?
Sorry for all the questions but I don't want the car off the road for any length of time.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
E

Enigma AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W164 ML63
Yes it is a leak from the top valve block. Thankyou very much for your response. I am liking this forum already.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The easiest way is to get an engine cleaner aerosol and wash it down, then start the car and you should see where the leak is.

I have known car where that sensor comes lose, but fit a new washer, copper is better if the leak is there.

As I said earlier, this is all the return, so no problems in taking it out.

Now you could have air in the system, just fill the car up when done, you will get the red "car too low" if you park on sloping ground. just raise it or start the car, and it is quite drivable, and the odd ABC fault will come up until the car is bled.

Do you know a good indie that can bleed it

I

OP
E

Enigma AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W164 ML63
I cleaned down the area around the valve blocks to isolate the leak.
Sadly I don't know of an indie to bleed the system, so I will replace the sender and see how it goes....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cleaned down the area around the valve blocks to isolate the leak.
Sadly I don't know of an indie to bleed the system, so I will replace the sender and see how it goes....

If it is not leaking through the electrical terminals then you only need the washer, and you can buy that anywhere. I still use my original sender and only replaced the washer.

The car is bled by having all 4 wheels hanging down, and you just go round undoing the bleed points, one on each corner. the car should be put on the rodeo test first to heat up the fluid.

As earlier I have not bled mine yet and I just get the odd ABC warning, but the car drives perfectly.

I can give you the instructions to bleed it.

Pleased that you like the forum

OP
E

Enigma AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W164 ML63
Thanks for the advice, any further instructions on bleeding the system would be really useful. Do you think driving the car several miles would serve the same purpose as the rodeo thing?

If it is not leaking through the electrical terminals then you only need the washer, and you can buy that anywhere. I still use my original sender and only replaced the washer.

The car is bled by having all 4 wheels hanging down, and you just go round undoing the bleed points, one on each corner. the car should be put on the rodeo test first to heat up the fluid.

As earlier I have not bled mine yet and I just get the odd ABC warning, but the car drives perfectly.

I can give you the instructions to bleed it.

Pleased that you like the forum

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
By raising the car a few times when driving does help, after a short drive the RED warning may not show itself again, it depends on how much fluid was lost. I have been some 3k miles since mine leaked without bleeding

I will print off the bleeding instruction shortly

type49

Reaction score
There is no way to fully bleed these systems anyway. The struts only have one pipe to them, no return, so they can never really be bled properly. There are bleed point near the stuts but these are on the circulated part of the system & so I would be tempted to leave them (just in case they snap) & let the system self bleed. As Malc says, there is a "rodeo" + 2 other settings that can accelerate this bleeding process but it should still bleed itself anyway. ONLY use MB oil though. Part number ends in 2403.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is no way to fully bleed these systems anyway. The struts only have one pipe to them, no return, so they can never really be bled properly. There are bleed point near the stuts but these are on the circulated part of the system & so I would be tempted to leave them (just in case they snap) & let the system self bleed. As Malc says, there is a "rodeo" + 2 other settings that can accelerate this bleeding process but it should still bleed itself anyway. ONLY use MB oil though. Part number ends in 2403.

Thanks and my findings also, mine has self bled itself now.

It was only the other day that I am thinking how do you get the air out of the top of the spheres when the bleed screw is at the bottom

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Thanks and my findings also, mine has self bled itself now.

It was only the other day that I am thinking how do you get the air out of the top of the spheres when the bleed screw is at the bottom

Turn it upside down. ;)

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
And you would find all your loose change.

OP
E

Enigma AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W164 ML63
Thanks television, replaced sender and washer no leaks.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom