SL55 Alternator removal

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Check charging voltage at both batteries.
If I were to guess I'd say the charge control module is bad assuming everything else is good. Given you have 2 r230s try swapping it over perhaps. They're a bit eye watering to buy....

Thanks Alistair, I swapped batteries this morning and the old battery brings up no issues or consumer off line messages.
I am now assuming the Halford big battery hasn't the volts to run everything.
I will recheck both batteries tomorrow now, in the mean time the old battery is staying in the car for today.

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wee update on the battery issues, both batteries reading good voltage when sitting and increases immediately once started, this is with my old battery in the car.
Checked the volts on the Halfords battery and it reads 12.5v same reading as my old recharged battery, so re fitted the new Halfords battery, now got consumers off line again :rolleyes: Though once I started the car the volts increased to 13.9. It took 5 minutes of running for the consumers off line to disappear.
I will run today with the new H battery and if it still showing consumers off line when I leave work tonight I will know for sure it is their battery!

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Comsumers off line again, so took the battery back to Halfords and got a replacement under warranty. 'We need to check your old battery sir' I said 'you've already done that and cost me dearly with your poor diagnostics by way of a new alternator'! :mad: 'But all the same we need to recheck'. 'Yes your battery is faulty' :rolleyes:
I told you it was Mr Halfords!!
Great so why didn't you say that when I came in earlier this week???
Blank look etc.......... :confused::confused::rolleyes:
Replacement battery fitted, lets hope it lasts longer than 8 months :(
So my old alternator wasn't the issue after all.
That is the first issue I have had with them since using them, though I have been getting better deals at Wilko recently, plus they have had the hard to get parts for the older car on the shelf :shock:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Comsumers off line again, so took the battery back to Halfords and got a replacement under warranty. 'We need to check your old battery sir' I said 'you've already done that and cost me dearly with your poor diagnostics by way of a new alternator'! :mad: 'But all the same we need to recheck'. 'Yes your battery is faulty' :rolleyes:
I told you it was Mr Halfords!!
Great so why didn't you say that when I came in earlier this week???
Blank look etc.......... :confused::confused::rolleyes:
Replacement battery fitted, lets hope it lasts longer than 8 months :(
So my old alternator wasn't the issue after all.
That is the first issue I have had with them since using them, though I have been getting better deals at Wilko recently, plus they have had the hard to get parts for the older car on the shelf :shock:
Hope I'm not asking the obvious, but are you sure that Halfords are supplying the correct type of battery? Apparently should be an AGM battery of the correct capacity. There was a thread on another forum a while ago where Halfords kept supplying a starter battery instead of a consumer one on an R230. I wouldn't be relying on Halfords to diagnose. Again sorry if I'm doing the grandmother sucking eggs thing:)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yes you need an AGM battery. I got both of mine (front and rear) from MB, at only £105 for the rear (IIRC), it was not much more than Hallifrods. 5 years later and it's still fine. I replaced the front as a precaution, there was nothing wrong with the old one but it was 12 years old and I need peace of mind.

At least you have a new alternator now, and a spare if anything should go wrong.o_O

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hope I'm not asking the obvious, but are you sure that Halfords are supplying the correct type of battery? Apparently should be an AGM battery of the correct capacity. There was a thread on another forum a while ago where Halfords kept supplying a starter battery instead of a consumer one on an R230. I wouldn't be relying on Halfords to diagnose. Again sorry if I'm doing the grandmother sucking eggs thing:)

Yes it is an AGM battery, I've got two off the previously and not had an issue, this battery turned out to be a faulty AGM one. ;)

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes you need an AGM battery. I got both of mine (front and rear) from MB, at only £105 for the rear (IIRC), it was not much more than Hallifrods. 5 years later and it's still fine. I replaced the front as a precaution, there was nothing wrong with the old one but it was 12 years old and I need peace of mind.

At least you have a new alternator now, and a spare if anything should go wrong.o_O

Unfortunately the old (and good) alternator was used as an exchange, although Gav might still have it at his shop?

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Unfortunately the old (and good) alternator was used as an exchange, although Gav might still have it at his shop?

Ah, What was the price of the new alternator if you don't mind me asking ? Just curious, in case I need one one day.

Top Bottom