SL55 - Fried BNS unit N82/1

5oren

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Hi,

Just came back from two weeks traveling and wanted to take the SL55 for a spin. But only to discover both batteries where totally dead and a smell of burned electronics :( I charged the batteries but immediately got the red battery "visit workshop" warning when turning on the ignition.

Connected STAR and it confirmed missing signal from the BNS unit.
Today i took the BNS unit out and it turned out it was totally fried. Actually quite lucky it didn't set fire to the whole car.

My question is, any idea why the BNS unit burns went the car is parked for 2 weeks. Second is it normal that it burns so badly? And can i somehow check the other components of the charging system before connecting a new BNS box? After disconnecting the fried box the car is still able to start and drive, so I assume it just need a new BNS. However it would be nice to confirm, before connecting a new 800 EUR BNS.

Another question, i am considering buying a new unit of EBAY so i assume it needs to be coded for the car. I have STAR but no experience in coding new boxes.

Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• Image.png.jpg
    Image.png.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 44

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Never seen that before, no coding for the new one, you could get a secondhand one much cheaper and plenty in the USA Ebay.

After you join up, remember small battery first, then the rear one.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom