SL55 front supension leg gaiter

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Hi all,

The gaiter on my o/s front suspension unit has split. :( I am told the only solution is a new suspension unit at £1538.40! Surely there is a better solution? (Not sure of the correct technical decription but I am talking about the ~6" diameter main upright from the wishbone to the suspension turret on the body).

Regards, Peter.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
That is outrageous. MB are (in)famous for the high level of granularity which they apply to parts, ie we don't sell that bit on its own, just the whole unit.

I do not want to take advantage, but if you are completely stuck, I have a pair of SL55 struts, perfect apart from worn ball joints. My intention was to have the ball joints replaced which will cost about £200 per leg & then sell them as there is an increasing demand with tightening MOT rules re ball joints.

A matched pair with new ball joints would be worth some £1200 on ebay and I was going to stick them on "as is" for £500.

I genuinely wish I could suggest where to try, but the gaiters are big buggers the likes of which I have not seen before

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I may have a strut that I can take down,, I will check later in the week

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but for £1500+ maybe it's worth a shot.

Is the split 'clean'? By that I mean is it a straight split, not frayed or jagged?

If so, it may be worth trying to bond the split back together. The original Superglue type of bonding agents were particularly effective on rubber and related materials.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
No you cant get the gaiters as a separate item, at least not from MB.
My Cl shredded a gaiter on a back strut.
I'm contemplating using some other material to cover it.

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Hi all, what I have done for now is cleaned up the splits with meths and sealed them with black silicone (Screwfix £2.99). I had to jack the suspension up to get the split to a suitable size but it seems to have taken. When I let the suspension back down it held. Have to see how it goes unless I can get a gaiter from somewhere. Worth a try brandwooddixon? Regards and thanks for all replies, Peter.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
a thought - there's a product called Plastidip which is the consistency of treacle - you can brush it on and it dries like rubber - very flexible.

If you have the gaiter clean, dry & glued, then possibly try some of this - you could even laminate something between two coats for extra reinforcement

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom