SL55 Selector Lever Troubles

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
Hi All, I am having trouble with the gear selector lever on my car!:(
when it is in "park" mode it now takes a while for me to take it out from the park position, when I press the brake pedal I can hear a relay or solenoid click and I can just about feel a click while my had is on the gear selector but Ihave to almost force it (gently) to move to drive or reverse,once I have moved it out from "P" the selection of other modes are as normal, but put it back into "P" and the problem starts again.
I called my local MB dealer and they told me it sounds like the gear selector is faulty and if it was the gear selector the cost of the part would be around £600.00 for the part and around £300.00 labour!!
Any info would be welcome.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just been down to my own 230 and tried this, and there is slight feeling in the shift lever. So nothing wrong with the Module.

It could be just that silly plastic clip on the bottom of the gear shift lever. most just take it off and throw it away

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Its the start of the end for the ESM, thats how they start to play up, Your get in it one day and it wont come out, new unit needed, coded to chassis number!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its the start of the end for the ESM, thats how they start to play up, Your get in it one day and it wont come out, new unit needed, coded to chassis number!

What is the plastic clips on the end of the shift that breaks, and stops the lever from coming out of park I have a photo of the shift lever somewhere and the part that fails.

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is the plastic clips on the end of the shift that breaks, and stops the lever from coming out of park I have a photo of the shift lever somewhere and the part that fails.

Thanks Television, I look forward to seeing this photo!!

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Hi SAM, if it is this part does the part cost £600.00!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There has been a big posting on either Benzworld or MB world on this, mainly with the AMGs, I took an interest in the subject as I had never heard of one in the UK, sadly I never get any time to post there anymore, but I did steal a photo of the part from one of the two. The part is not sold on its own and everyone left it off. Just where did I put that picture

As your shift is clicking and you can feel it, I am sure it is not the module

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
There has been a big posting on either Benzworld or MB world on this, mainly with the AMGs, I took an interest in the subject as I had never heard of one in the UK, sadly I never get any time to post there anymore, but I did steal a photo of the part from one of the two. The part is not sold on its own and everyone left it off. Just where did I put that picture

As your shift is clicking and you can feel it, I am sure it is not the module

Sam is right. This is early signs of the ESM (Electronic Selector Module) faulting. £600 sheets sounds about right.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
There's a Bakelite rod inside which holds the lock in place, this starts to break and then jams up. its inside the ESM, you have to break the unit apart to get to it, then there is no parts to replace as unit comes as one sealed unit, see this once every month or so! its common with the S,SL,CL as all use the same part!!

aslam001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s320 cdi 03 silver facelift/vito 03 cdi for work
Sam is right. This is early signs of the ESM (Electronic Selector Module) faulting. £600 sheets sounds about right.

took the plastic bit out on my s class after following instrutions on american website ,no problems now apart from air matic pump failing a week later, replaced pump ,relay and pipe. two separate problems in two weeks.....

aslam001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s320 cdi 03 silver facelift/vito 03 cdi for work

took the plastic bit out on my s class after following instrutions on american website ,no problems now apart from air matic pump failing a week later, replaced pump ,relay and pipe. two separate problems in two weeks..... oh well its worth it love the car

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I think we are talking about different faults here! the bit Olly and i are talking about is inside the ESM, you have to break it into bits to get to it!!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Well thats a cheaper way which i didnt know about!! link is saved!!

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
It will be the selector module which has to be ordered for your chassis. It will cost a touch over £800 to be replaced at the dealer and will take 2 days to order.
I had this problem with mine and one day it will not come out of drive at all. If you leave it too late it will leave you stranded somewhere. It's best to get it done as soon as it starts playing up.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
It will be the selector module which has to be ordered for your chassis. It will cost a touch over £800 to be replaced at the dealer and will take 2 days to order.
I had this problem with mine and one day it will not come out of drive at all. If you leave it too late it will leave you stranded somewhere. It's best to get it done as soon as it starts playing up.

Welcome back Helen!!!!!:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a thread some where that covers the whole job, but I feel guilty hanging around on those sites too long

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

Welcome back Helen. Can we expect a new avatar soon? :p

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Insurance Job!!

Thanks All, I am going to see if this fault is can be repaired under my extended warranty with insurance company "Warranty Direct" Ihave checked my policy and It seems that I am covered (I hope)

Top Bottom