SLC380 Vacuum Pump. Where is it?

MB380SLC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As username
I've search most of today because I have no manual, as I think my Vacuum Pump has packed up. Anybody has an idea where it is hidden? There seems to be something under the offside front wing (15 spheres) above the wheel, but maybe this is some sort of reservoir. I believe the vacuum pump also operates the boot lid, petrol lid and seat back restraints when the doors are shut and engine running. Grateful for good guidance. Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The locking

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...&L=765.701&CT=F&cat=048&SID=80&SGR=045&SGN=02

The seats
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...&L=765.701&CT=F&cat=048&SID=80&SGR=165&SGN=04

Engine and lights.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...&L=765.701&CT=F&cat=048&SID=80&SGR=015&SGN=01

I was wrong to say that you have a pump,sorry, but what you have is a leak in the tank or a pipe is off or split.

The bunch of blue T pieces passenger side in front of the screen are always going down and its worth replacing them

OP
M

MB380SLC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As username
Thanks for the suggestion. I note that it has a dual function testing both pressure and vacuum, hence the cost. I was looking at separately vacuum pump and vacuum guage, both for $36, but unfortunately it is on a US site and no shipment outside US possible. I'll keep hunting. Still trying to understand how the vacuum system works since there doesn't seem to be a pump on mine, but I note from another site, that diesels have a pump.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK Diesels have a pump as there is no vacuum on a diesel engine in the inlet manifold.

Your vacuum tank is charged from the inlet manifold, so if the headlamps and locking do not work, the engine pipes are the place to start looking, you can check the vacuum in any pipe when the engine is at idle by putting your finger over the end. These car hold the vacuum for a few hours normally, the blue T pieces are known to go bad

OP
M

MB380SLC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As username
Thanks Malcolm for the expansionary note. I had a notion that vacuum was created from inlet manifold and stored in the reservoirs I found the other day, which you have now confirmed. When you say "engine pipes are the place to start looking", would this be the one gone going to the brake booster? If not, which one? Also you mentioned earlier "the bunch of blue T pieces passenger side in front of the screen" usually need to be replaced. Are they in the engine compartment? I can't see them either on the car or the diagrams you suggested.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is so much to the vacuum system, I have worked on SLs but never a SLC but they should be something like the same.

The bunch of blue T pieces sit right in the corner nearside front wing against the bulkhead.

Its best that I give you all of the links
you have an engine one here
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...&L=765.701&CT=M&cat=288&SID=14&SGR=120&SGN=06

The pipes that charge the vacuum tank must have one way valves on them.

This is your whole car
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.asp?TP=1&F=107025&VIN=

The links all open after BM ½ way down each page
80 is part of the system
14 is the inlet with more
27 the gearbox has them.

The main thing to do is to be sure that there is a vacuum in that tank, it should hold the charge for more than 4 hours

OP
M

MB380SLC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As username
Thanks again Malcolm

The deeper I look the more complicated it gets, but I am mindful of Gary Player's moto "the more I practice the luckier I get" :), so to the task. The main link is EXTREMELY useful so thanks also for that. I have ordered a manual, unfortunately written for the US market's 350s and 450s, but I took a flyer and thought all the major things should be the same, except for maybe the left hand drive, enlarged bumpers and air conditioning units.

OP
M

MB380SLC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As username
I tried today to isolate all the pipes and concentrated on the seats. The inlet manifold was creating a vacuum, but when attached only to seat pipework failed to make even a small impression on the locking mechanism. I checked the blue T pieces (found them wrapped in plastic with ties in bulkhead) all of which seemed to be operating OK. In any case I might replace them as was suggested. Can you recommend a source? How much hg of vacuum should I have in the reservoirs and in the tubing to make the seats work? I suspect that's part if not the main problem.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The blue T pieces do not cost much so get some from MB, they should not all be wrapped up, so someone has been there, they do cure some 80% of all faults on a 107

OP
M

MB380SLC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As username
Malcolm
Since my last post, I have now acquired a vacuum pump without which I would not have solved my problems. As a contribution to the forum, I would like to write up the process of finding the leaks and resolving them, so perhaps you can guide me as to the best place to post it. Both the Haynes and the Chilton manuals DID NOT have any information on the vacuum systems operating the central locking and seat back restraints, so it would be useful for other forum members to have this on line. Grateful for your advice

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just start a new thread in the electrics and vacuum section, if you have some pictures they always go down well, I will be away for two weeks as from Wed, but please go ahead and do it. Anyweb can move it to the DIY section

OP
M

MB380SLC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As username
I've put it up as a new thread under SL & SLC Vacuum System - Troubleshooting, together with some pictures. So this thread ends here. Thanks for all the help.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom