slight vibration feeling especialy when increasing speed, more so when cold

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
hi, my 2003 e270 cdi, as in heading this very slight vibration,especially when cold. engine/transmission mounts done. exhaust changed, wheels balanced, all these each made some improvement.
2 things, I haven't checked prop shaft, secondly I had oil change done on auto box, but had very little faith in the garage that did it for several horrifying reasons. when its really warm its great, but this weather when does that happen lol. has anyone had probs with different oil in auto box ?
thanks guys

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Could you be suffering flat spotting of tyres in the cold?

Ian.
Or tread wear issues, I’ve seen tread blocks have strange wear angles when pressures are off recommendations?

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
aahhhh... I had that once before on another car, def will try that, thanks.

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
are all 4 wheels balanced? has this issue before garage telling me only front ones need done but after getting all 4 done, vibration was gone.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Is it not there at all at idle? I can feel it in mine through the seat and steering wheel at idle but it's very subtle and some days is barely noticeable.

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
thanks for all advice, but we got it,,,,,,,,,,,,, at long last and would have never dreamt of remedy. if I said thermostat, would anyone guess how, or think I had finally cracked up under pressure lol

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
thanks for all advice, but we got it,,,,,,,,,,,,, at long last and would have never dreamt of remedy. if I said thermostat, would anyone guess how, or think I had finally cracked up under pressure lol
Can only guess as the fan was on more than it should be?

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
lol nearly, since I had the car, the temp gauge only came about 1/4 way up, all worked fine, even towing a van last year.
the other evening I was caught in Lincoln city rush hour traffic bad. up came the gauge to 3/4. still ok but then into limp mode. stopped allowed to cool and got back. my garage fitted new thermostat next day etc, now it sits about 90-95 steady. at this temp NO VIBRATION FELT....... all the time I was driving it was never up to working temp, and wha a difference it makes. lesson learnt to me. although gauge sits there and always has doesn't have to be correct. thanks for all advice given. mike

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Can't see how that makes a difference, particularly as you stated "worse when cold". You still have to go through a "cold" period until it gets to operating temp so why is it not still doing it?

Ian.

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
I agree, but something has happened there, and very coincidental with it throwing a brain fart. I am keeping fingers crossed now.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Was this thermostat changed by the same garage that apparently made a pig's ear of your autobox service 'for several horrifying reasons' (your words)?

It will pay you both to get the gearbox and the vehicle properly checked out by a decent Indie with Star. Gearboxes are very expensive items, and changing a 'stat does not by itself cure a vibration which is apparently worse when cold. As Oigle, something else is the cause of that.

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
no it wasn't, he only did it, as my normal guy doesn't do air con, which I wanted doing also, so this guy did both while there.
my guy has tested the car to his full extent, driving around town, ticking over, etc etc, nothing showing on his diagnostic, gear changes all good, oil level good, we just cannot find a thing att, so I guess all I can do is monitor it. perhaps the first time the engine temp gauge doubled in reading caused something to clear or similar, I don't know.
I am going to get my guy to change oil in auto box, for peace of mind and for sake of price of oil.

domwild

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W204
lol nearly, since I had the car, the temp gauge only came about 1/4 way up, all worked fine, even towing a van last year.
the other evening I was caught in Lincoln city rush hour traffic bad. up came the gauge to 3/4. still ok but then into limp mode. stopped allowed to cool and got back. my garage fitted new thermostat next day etc, now it sits about 90-95 steady. at this temp NO VIBRATION FELT....... all the time I was driving it was never up to working temp, and wha a difference it makes. lesson learnt to me. although gauge sits there and always has doesn't have to be correct. thanks for all advice given. mike
Learned thermostats are one of five issues with Mercs according to Dr Google. My temp rose far too slowly and only made it up to 80 deg. eventually, it is supposed to reach 90 or 92 (stamped on some). Looks like mine is third thermostat after 120,000km.

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
def a thing to keep an eye on now, mercs seem to so reliant on correct temp with many factors relying on it. still the best I ever had, wish I tried them many years ago.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I would say it has a chattering torque converter lock up valve failing.

The key is that it gets better when warm. If it was anything related to chassis, suspension, steering, driveline bearings then it wouldnt get better when it was warm, heat would make it get worse if anything.

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
how can I confirm ? big small job ??

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
how can I confirm ? big small job ??

Experience of someone who knows of having seen the fault before and or by switching off the TC lock up clutch with the STAR machine.

OP
M

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
thanks. will look into it and see how it goes, a few have said I am over fussy and remember although a Mercedes it is 14 yr old etc, thanks for advice chaps all very much appreciated and taken on board.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom