SLK Advice

pjtynan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320, Toyota Rav4
Hi,

I own a year 2000 slk 320 that is suffering from small areas of rust that unfortunately MB will not touch. One of the places where rust has appeard is the upper tie bar/brace that is bolted to the wings at the front and appears to support the radiator top and the bonnet catch mechanism. My question is: is this rail simple to remove in order for me to spray it off the car or would it be easier to paint it in-situ.

Regards,
pjtynan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You can unbolt all that sits on the rad and around the grill,you have to do this to do certain work on the car,,if it has a screw or bolt,then take it off

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Just waxoyl it and do it when the weather is better next year

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
be easier still to buy the new panel in primer so no need to remove the corrosion, so you can take your time to prep and spray and car will be off the road for a shorter time

OP
P

pjtynan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320, Toyota Rav4
thanks coventryslk for the info.

I will not be touching it until next spring but I do not think the rust is bad enough to warrant replacing the strut, I am just concerned about all the components connected to it if I remove it. If it is a complicated job I will just mask off and paint it in situ.

Thanks pjtynan

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
yes, prep and take as much corrosion off and use PO51 rust treatment as used on oil rigs and classic car chassis restorations. Mask off and prep and make sure all grease removed

Top Bottom