SLK Cam Sensor

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
I posted this question in the general section but it probably wasn't the right place.

The attached photo is of what I believe is the cam sensor on my SLK and it has obviously been leaking a bit. There was also a bit of oil in the plug but the loom appears dry.

Do I need to worry about this or put a blocker in as I can't see how the oil can track up the loom when the plug is angled up as it is. Also, which bit of the sensor is likely to be leaking and is there an easy/cheap fix to stop it?

Attachments

• cam position sensor 1.jpg
    cam position sensor 1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 691

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do get the blocker, that will stop any oil from going into the loom, the oil goes inside the wire and up to the ECU.

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Do get the blocker, that will stop any oil from going into the loom, the oil goes inside the wire and up to the ECU.

Thanks Malcolm, a trip to the dealer for a blocker is in order then. Is that the official name for it and will the parts guy know what I'm on about if I ask for a blocker?

Regarding the leak - are there any seals that can be changed to stop it or is a new sensor the only option?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The blocker is all you need,you just unplug the connector, plug the blocker in and the connector in the end of the blocker.

Its like taking out an insurance for getting on for £1k of damage

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Sounds simple enough. May take a trip to the dealer tomorrow to get one as I think the sooner it's fitted the better.

Thanks again for the advice.

type49

Reaction score
The blocker is about £17 & part number starts "271". The part at fault is actually the cam adjuster magnet. If the leak is bad I would change this as well. You only need a 5mm allen key for the 3 bolts, a magnet, a plastic cap & engine sealant/mastic, as there is no actual seal between magnet & head. You do not need to worry about cam timing etc, it is a very simple job.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The Merc name for the part is "Starter Line". I don't have the part number to hand, I'm afraid.

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Thanks guys,

I got a 'Starter Line' today from the local dealer. The Part No is 271 150 27 33 and at £18.63 all in, I didn't think it was too costly, especially if it saves the ECU!

Fitting was easy but I fail to see how this lead will help prevent the oil getting up the loom. Is it made of special cable or something?

There was quite a bit of oil in the plug on the sensor so I hope I've caught it in time and that this will stop any potential future problems with the loom. I'll keep an eye on the leak though as a new sensor magnet may also be in order.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys,

I got a 'Starter Line' today from the local dealer. The Part No is 271 150 27 33 and at £18.63 all in, I didn't think it was too costly, especially if it saves the ECU!

Fitting was easy but I fail to see how this lead will help prevent the oil getting up the loom. Is it made of special cable or something?

There was quite a bit of oil in the plug on the sensor so I hope I've caught it in time and that this will stop any potential future problems with the loom. I'll keep an eye on the leak though as a new sensor magnet may also be in order.

Pleased that you are all fixed,,you should not get any oil problem now as there is no oil now to push it through any further

C

creepy coupe

I'm more than a bit interested in this mod, having just bought the Wife an SLK, can someone please post a photo of the blocker, I'd like to know if I have one already

racall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class and slk
See wiltsandy post for a picture without the blocker on. The blocker is about 6inches long and just plugs into the loom.

LadyPenelope

Reaction score
Hmmm..this is a new one for me. Would i know if Lady P's motor had an oil leak in this area..i.e would it be obvious or could it insidiously cause damage without any outward signs until the ECU goes kaput?

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Hmmm..this is a new one for me. Would i know if Lady P's motor had an oil leak in this area..i.e would it be obvious or could it insidiously cause damage without any outward signs until the ECU goes kaput?

You'd know just by looking at the loom.

Undo the plug and check inside the connector - it'll be full of oil if the seal has gone.

If you have got a leak it's worth checking the O2 sensor connector on the top of the bellhousing and also the connectors on the ecu. If you catch it in time it can be successfully dealt with.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As wiltsandy,, just see if it is there,if not go and buy one before it too late,,,I think that MB should give them away free

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
As wiltsandy,, just see if it is there,if not go and buy one before it too late,,,I think that MB should give them away free

Absolutely Malcolm,

For what the blocker must cost to make and given the fact that it seems to be such a common problem with the sensor/loom, what a gesture of customer service it would be for MB to give them away!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Absolutely Malcolm,

For what the blocker must cost to make and given the fact that it seems to be such a common problem with the sensor/loom, what a gesture of customer service it would be for MB to give them away!

Yes I agree, little things can mean so much

type49

Reaction score
Absolutely Malcolm,

I recommend them on all late 111 engines. Most people dont want them though:(

Realwood

Reaction score
Cam sensor blocker

Hi All
Can someone give me a clue please.
After reading all the posts ref starter line blocker, i decided to go and buy one
for the wifes 1999 SLK230K.
Quoted part no. 271 150 2733 and duly got the unit £ 18.63.
Got home removed cover and hey presto plugs are not the same, have i got the wrong one, presumably yes.
If so can somebody please tell me the correct part number and i will take it back and exchange, or am i missing something.
Thanks
Dave

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It sounds like you have the early sensor, its a differnt plug, and a "safe" sensor, you dont need a blocker line if its the early one!

Welcome to the forums!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom