SLK questions

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
Hi, I'm new here, but have already found some of my queries answered, great and thanks. I have just bought a 2003 SLK200K and the problems have started already! The latest is the "engine management" light staying on. The car starts and runs ok, so I'm guessing perhaps the exhaust blowing via the middle box. Would that trigger the light? I have read some of the answers to the same problem and dread the loom soaked in oil scenario! I have had to have a new "in cab" fuse box, which cost an arm and a leg! Also wipers with the linkage broken, luckily the wiper motor still worked ok. Any help on the engine mamnagement light would be very welcome. I'm in Swansea and dare not take it to Mercedes, at least not at first!! Cheers.

type49

Reaction score
If your car is a 170 (old shape) then it could be oil in the loom, or poss a flame-trap valve at the back of the head.

OP
O

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
Thanks for your answer type49. It's a facelift (2003) model, but I guess that is the old shape with the Mercedes badge low down on the front. Would a diagnostic check show what the fault was? If it is what you suggest what is the solution and any idea how much? Your second suggestion sounds less of a problem, can you enlarge on that? I'm also guessing that you don't think a blown exhaust box would trigger the engine management light then. Anyway thanks for your interest, every bit of info helps. Cheers.

5pares

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi
Youl need the faults read.The valve at the back of the head is a small job.

OP
O

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
Thanks "5spares". Would be a Star diagnostic or are there any other? Can any garage do this? Sorry to keep asking, but It helps to find out as much as poss! Cheers. Owen.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that oil in the loom could be the cause as Type49 said, if the lamp is on, and the car drives OK then the O2 sensor has not shifted too far from its settings.

The exhaust should not have caused it, though the O2 sensor sits in the exhaust, could the leak have fooled the O2 sensor in thinking that the fuel was too weak.

OP
O

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
Me again "M", the weak fuel idea is what I thought might have triggered the light, wrong emissions etc, but I'm only guessing! Ah well it's a diagnostic check, Mercedes or elswhere, what do you think? Owen.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom