SLK R170 rear demister

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I have a few questions regarding the rear screen demister.

(I have posted about this problem previously, sorry)

If there is a 'break' in one or two of the elements (lines) in the screen (in my case the bottom two), would the remaining 'lines' still work?

I have checked the fuse, I have a light on at the switch and I have 'repaired' the breaks in the lines using the silver paint on substance.

Still not working :(

In my previous post, a second fuse in the boot was mentioned. Anyone know where that is?

Also, there was mention of a 'relay' at the rear of the car? Where would that be?

Thanks in advance :)

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Have you used a volt meter to check to see if there is voltage actually going to the rear screen

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Have you used a volt meter to check to see if there is voltage actually going to the rear screen

No he has not, I have told him 1357943 times:rolleyes: to check this, the connector X19 is in the side of the rear wing and this is the connector for the screen, on the 170449 no fuse no relay

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Oh Malc you do exagerate somewhat. 1357942 times to be exact :shock:

Ok, 'assuming' there is juice to the rear screen, would the element lines without breaks in them still work?

I don't have a voltmeter :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:D:D

It depends on how the screen it wired, you have the strands or wire in the glass going horizontally, if they go into a solid thicker wire at each side going vertical, that runs from top to bottom, then they are individual horizontal elements.

If the horizontal wires go along and drop down just into the next horizontal line then just on element and a break anywhere will stop it.

A volt meter that only cost £5 or less would do for checking, and I could send you the details of where this X connector is on your car.

Would you pop up the next 3 numbers after WDB170 and I can double check your system

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Cheers :)

Next 3 digits are 449

Just had a look at the screen. Difficult to say how the element runs as the horizontal lines dissapear into the 'smoked' glass around the edge :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK then 449 was the one I gave the info for.

If you had a little multi meter,,you could check the voltage on that X connector and the resistance of the rear window, you would then know for sure :D

OP
Kylinski

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
I've just gone back out to the car for another lookie from the inside of the screen.

There are 2 lines running vertical either side of the screen. On the drivers side I noticed a wire soldered have way up the screen. Couldn't see one on the passenger side, will check tomorrow in the daylight.

This is sort of good news as I think it means that despite the possible damage to the bottom 2 lines, the rest should still work??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indeed this is the more normal way for them to be wired. The connections are normally both on the same side

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom