SLK Washer reservoir

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
This may be a stupid question but is there an overflow on the washer fluid reservoir on the R170 SLKs?

I was topping mine up today and as the fluid reached the neck and I stopped pouring, I then heard and saw the fluid draining from the back of the wheel arch.

Not as much came out as went in so I don't think its leaking which is what makes me wonder if there's an overflow somewhere to prevent it from being overfilled.

If there isn't then I guess the wheel arch liner will have to come out to see what's going on.

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Thanks Malcolm,

I thought it was such a daft question I didn't bother searching!

Looks like the wheel arch liner is going to have to come out tomorrow then to see if the bottle has split :(.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Laying in the sun, undo the nuts, get covered in dust, perfect way to spend the day:(;)

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Yeah, not ideal but I've got nothing else to do tomorrow.

It's either do this or clean the oil out of the engine loom and I've done enough of that lately!

Are there any specific instructions for removing the washer reservoir in your database that would be of any use?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I already have one printed off and I have sent it to you:D

racall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class and slk
This may be a stupid question but is there an overflow on the washer fluid reservoir on the R170 SLKs?

I was topping mine up today and as the fluid reached the neck and I stopped pouring, I then heard and saw the fluid draining from the back of the wheel arch.

Not as much came out as went in so I don't think its leaking which is what makes me wonder if there's an overflow somewhere to prevent it from being overfilled.

If there isn't then I guess the wheel arch liner will have to come out to see what's going on.

I have exactly the same problem and my headlamp washers leak Car is a r170 Slk

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I sent the wrong one to Sandy and I will print off in a while the correct one and send it to you both

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Before I do this I have just read one sheet that says.

Fluid exits when filling the bottle. when the bottle is filled, water runs out of the connector from the filler to the tank and there is no remedy for this

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Thanks Malcolm, that's exactly the problem!

There's no seal between the filler neck and the corrugated tube that goes into the bottle so the fluid just comes straight out when it gets to that level.

Seems like a bit of a daft design flaw to allow washer fluid to overflow inside the wing but I suppose the bean counters got their way and stopped the engineers putting an o-ring in the joint. Every little helps as Tesco would say!:lol:

Thanks for looking anyway and thanks also for the level sensor test sheet that you emailed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there any way that an O ring could be fitted onto the bottle neck and the pipe warmed and pushed over it, or a slightly smaller diameter pipe pushed in side the existing to go pasted the join

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Is there any way that an O ring could be fitted onto the bottle neck and the pipe warmed and pushed over it, or a slightly smaller diameter pipe pushed in side the existing to go pasted the join

Probably, yes.

The connecting hose has a recess moulded into it at the top, as if it is supposed to have an o-ring fitted. The filler neck is quick thick plastic with a taper on the end that pushes into the tube so I can't see any reason why an o-ring of the right size couldn't be used.

It would be a bit fiddly to put it together up inside the wing but with a bit of washing up liquid or the like on the o-ring to help it slide together, I'm sure it could be done.

I'll probably look into this a bit further and report back.

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
Had the same problem, just after I bought my SLK200K. Checked around and found that it was simply the overflow! I now don't fill it so much!! How is the engine loom cleaning going? I am cleaning all available plugs & sockets weekly and keeping fingers crossed! Thankfully the car is a dream, otherwise I would be somewhat miffed by it all!! Owen.

C

cmuk

Hi Andy ... I've just joined this site, and have the same problem with my SLK as you (I think). Did you have any success in sorting your washer leak ? Mine has become so bad now, the water just drains out as soon as I attempt to fill it.
Regards (cmuk) Chris

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome to the forum ,,I think you need to take a look first to see if it has split, or leaking

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
It could just be the pump that's leaking. They are a sealed unit, cost around £20 from MB and just push into the side of the washer bottle. I've replaced 2 on our SLK over a 10 year period. You need to to remove the O/S road wheel and the inner plastic arch to get access. It's very easy to get access to the washer bottle once you have done this although a bit of a fiddle to refit with the wires, etc. Make sure you get a new grommet that the pump pushes into. It shouldn't take more than an hour (probably £150 job if you go to MB).

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Hi Andy ... I've just joined this site, and have the same problem with my SLK as you (I think). Did you have any success in sorting your washer leak ? Mine has become so bad now, the water just drains out as soon as I attempt to fill it.
Regards (cmuk) Chris

I just replied to your other post then realised I'd read it wrong so deleted my reply!:rolleyes:

If your bottle won't hold any water (as indicated by the light being constantly on) then I would think it's either a cracked bottle or leaking pump/pump seal.

It's not that difficult to get the bottle out to investigate - just remove the wheel and then take out the liner. It's a bit of a fiddle to manouevre the bottle out due to the tight space and the length of the neck but it does come out.

I haven't done any more about mine yet - waiting for the weather to warm up!

C

cmuk

Found it

It could just be the pump that's leaking. They are a sealed unit, cost around £20 from MB and just push into the side of the washer bottle. I've replaced 2 on our SLK over a 10 year period. You need to to remove the O/S road wheel and the inner plastic arch to get access. It's very easy to get access to the washer bottle once you have done this although a bit of a fiddle to refit with the wires, etc. Make sure you get a new grommet that the pump pushes into. It shouldn't take more than an hour (probably £150 job if you go to MB).

Thanks for the info., I thought I solved the problem by just pushing the flexi hose back and further up the filler neck. This seemed to have solved the leak, so was peeved to see (next day) the low washer light on again. I just bought a jubilee clip thinking this would solve the leak, and this time, decided to use the washers a few times before reassembly. That's when the leaks started again, and I've traced it to the pump assembly as the culprit.
Is it normally the connection between the grommet and pump shaft that causes the leak, or the pump body itself ?
I imagine a fair bit of pressure builds up especially as my nozzle exits have never worked that well, and which is something else I've never been able to remedy.
Thanks for your help, and speaking from a non mechanical guy, removal of the arch liner and washer bottle was comparatively easy but something I would never have attempted to tackle had I not joined this forum ... so pat on the back to me, and many thanks to you.
Regards ... Chris

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many leaks come from the pipes and pumps to the headlamp washers across the range of cars,,some of the fittings are a little bit on the primitive side, and there is quite a pressure build up from the pump,,maybe it is the cold weather that starts them off leaking

nickymerc

Reaction score
Website
www.mikemarkeyandnickjones.com
Your Mercedes
e320 cdi owner
sorry to dig up this old thread....but water is running out of the windscreen washer water tank on my 51 plate e 320 cdi
I assume it's cracked during the recent cold weather here in powys.
Are these expensive repaires/replacements?
Are they easy to change myself?

all help very much appreciated. :)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom