SLK Wheel Arch Rust - Question for TV

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
Malcolm - I've read your excellent DIY post for tackling wheel arch rust. I've noticed a small patch on the front nearside wing on the wife's SLK that needs tackling before it spreads to the outside. Is it just the silver hammerite that you used on your 230? Ours is brilliant silver as well. Once cleaned up does it need a coat of primer before the silver hammerite?

Many thanks

Moosehead

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabriolet 2004, R 230 SL 500 2005, new A class AMG Sport.
I think you might have a long wait for a reply from Malcolm. He is banned and may not be back.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
For one to one posts such as this it would be more appropriate to start with a PM

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Malcolm - I've read your excellent DIY post for tackling wheel arch rust. I've noticed a small patch on the front nearside wing on the wife's SLK that needs tackling before it spreads to the outside. Is it just the silver hammerite that you used on your 230? Ours is brilliant silver as well. Once cleaned up does it need a coat of primer before the silver hammerite?

Many thanks

Moosehead

Why not PM a body guy like Benzworx instead, he'd be able to give you a better solution?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(

Many thanks

Moosehead

I shall pm you Malcolms e mail address..

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Recommending Clive was fine .. its the language you used in it that perhaps would upset...

"he'd be able to give you a better solution?"
and
"the right person to go to"

Why not just "I am sure xxx can give you a good solution" ...

I wasnt bothered by it but I read it exactly the same as drmw did and I suspect it was very deliberate ... and if you deny it I dont think you are fooling anyone... somewhat childish to be blunt.

My advice would be to choose words more carefully next time to avoid such misunderstandings.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Whats wrong with it being posted here, everyone gets to learn something about rust prevention from problem to cure? I used black waxoil on my last car and made a mess. I'd like to read about doing it properly.

Helps share the knowledge?

Last edited:

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why do we keep rising to the bait ?
There are numerous solutions to the problem ranging from Malcolms low cost option to Clives pro body shop approach. The OP is free to choose which is right for him and shouldnt we try to resist reacting to emotive language from someone who has nothing better to do than try to wind up others ?
When I was in India I was taught to ignore a rabid dog rather than get a stick and chase it ........

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Why do we keep rising to the bait ?
There are numerous solutions to the problem ranging from Malcolms low cost option to Clives pro body shop approach. The OP is free to choose which is right for him and shouldnt we try to resist reacting to emotive language from someone who has nothing better to do than try to wind up others ?
When I was in India I was taught to ignore a rabid dog rather than get a stick and chase it ........

I'm sorry I have absolutely no idea what you're on about. The OP asked for tackling some rust on his car, I know that Clive has a very good method for eradicating rust which many members who's cars he has worked on are very pleased with. Yes I agree that the OP has a choice I am not forcing anything on him, I said that someone who has a wealth of knowledge like Clive in working on bodywork it would be more apt. I believe that Ciaran bought some epoxy primer recently on Clive's recommendation. If Malcolm wont be coming back then the OP would benefit from an alternative source wouldnt they?

Had Andy from Andy's autobarn been a dedicated and regular posting member here I would recommend him too.

My mistake, I apologise for offering an alternative.

Last edited:

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Offering the OP a variety of choice is commendable but the mock innocence about the way it was worded is fooling nobody !

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Please...when will it stop...sanctuary, sanctuary...argghhhhh

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I couldnt agree more Niarac ......

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oops sorry for mispelling your name !

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Please...when will it stop...sanctuary, sanctuary...argghhhhh

Errrr when the mods recognise these kind of comments and pm the folks who make them? ... just a guess... We are all grown up and we get the nuances in some comments. Sorry mods but you need to sort it.

sent from my Galaxy Note 8 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
...and you rise to them...let them go...as you say, we're adults.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Malcolm always gave good mileage while he was posting.

Now he's gone I think he's doing even better...... :D:rolleyes:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

sent from my Galaxy Note 8 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

roscoc180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350 black/blue-2004
Just remembering an old song from my youth by Whitesnake

Here we go again!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom