Sluggish C220 CDI....????

PeteV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W202 CDI 220 T
Anyone have an idea why my 1998 C220 CDI auto estate keeps deciding to go into a kind of limp-home mode?
Knocking about it is just fine... kicks down and goes like it should. But get it on a long steady run (e.g. my recent motorway journey to Devon) and after a while I'll notice it's not responding to imputs from the cruise control stalk as usual. Off cruise it does pick up speed but only very slowly and doesn't respond to kick-down at all. Continuing on normal roads and it'll move off only steadily and changes up around 2.5-3k revs no matter what I do to the gas pedal. Stop it and restart immediately makes no deffence at all. However, stopping and restarting after 15-20 seconds seems to sort it, especially if driven off with 'enthusiasm'. B.T.W. when last checked, I understand the fault codes didn't show anything of any note....... What gives...??!!??

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Car is in limp mode. And there should be fault codes, limp mode is not triggered without them. But generic code readers won't necessarily give right results with MB.

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Could be the heater duo valve

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Car is in limp mode. And there should be fault codes, limp mode is not triggered without them. But generic code readers won't necessarily give right results with MB.

I hear this all the time, but mine went into limp mode from time to time over a 3 year period. Mercedes dealers were never able to find a fault code and could not explain why it was happening. Another member on here described the exact same fault, again no codes shown but no-one believed him either.

At first mine was infrequent, but eventually started to go into limp more and more. Eventually it went into limp and this time the engine check light came on for the first time. Now Mercedes could find a code, relating to boost pressure. One new intercooler hose was fitted and the car has never gone into limp mode since.

Russ

Martin Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C204 250 CDi AMG Prem Plus, W168 A160 Elegance LWB
+1 with st4! mine did the same. sounds very much like MAF sensor, don't go for the cheap option either! Go to Merc for it, about £73.

OP
P

PeteV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W202 CDI 220 T
Fuel tank venting...... I have noticed that after only a fairly short run there is a vacum pull as I try to undo the filler cap......or do they all do that???

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom