Smoking Sprinter 310

Rich_T

Reaction score
Hi after trawling the internet for hours, I thought I'd better ask.

Ive got a 310 Sprinter which smokes all the time. It makes no difference whether its hot or cold and even on tickover theres a haze of smoke around it which gets worse when revved. It smells more like diesel burning than oil and it does start first time every time and ticks over perfectly whether hot or cold.

Any suggestions or checks/common problems to look out for.
Thanks
Rich

OP
R

Rich_T

Reaction score
Just to add, the filters are all new and there's fresh diesel in the tank.
Rich

Bigtee

Reaction score
What is the mileage?

You may need a compression test to see if it's the bottom or top end problem of the engine.

What colour is the smoke? black/blue/white?

Does it drive ok plenty of power no hesitation? how is the fuel consumption?

OP
R

Rich_T

Reaction score
Hi, Ive yet to get a compression test done (just waiting for a compression tester to arrive). Im hopeless at telling the colour of it as the exhaust exits underneath the rear body, its a chassis cab so the smoke has dissipated before you can tell what colour it really is. However it does smell of diesel rather than oil.

It starts first turn of the key whether hot or cold and ticks over lovely, as best as I can tell it still pulls well but as its been off the road for a while the rear brakes are binding and I can only really take it round the village as its out of test.

As a bit of an update, although it runs perfectly I did notice today that if I sit with my foot slightly on the accelerator it does miss a little bit, Im kind of suspecting injectors. The injector with the lift sensor reads the correct resistance as does the MAP and intake temp sensors.

Ive ordered up the parts to build a pop tester so will be able to at least check the opening pressures of the injectors once thats sorted as well as view the spray pattern.

Rich

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom