Snapped Locking Wheelnut Key!

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
So the quest to do my front wheelbearings stopped abruptly yesterday on my wheelnut key shearing off in my locknuts on the front. There are three issues with this:

first off, the set are about 6 months old, brand new from mercedes.

secondly, the last people to refit the wheel it happened on was the local quick fit. [i have never had this with them before, i have had the other extreme, too loose but never tight before] it was well on though, as in i had to stand on it which is when it snapped. i have had other cars with older locknuts that i have had this before and they havent snapped.

thirdly, how the hell do i get the nut out? i still have the box with the paper with the number on it, but the actual squiggly bit of metal off the key is stuck in the bolt! so regardless to whether i get a new key or not, i cant get this particular wheel off without some sort of gentle persuasion.

help!

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Take it back to Kwik fit. Not the first time they will have gunned up the wheels, and caused this type of issue.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Drilling out the head is the only way to get it off, start off by center popping the remains of the stud right in the center, use a small drill to start with as its easier to keep central, and you can work up to a max of 9mm. You only need to drill deep enough, that is the depth of the head, or down to the start of the shank

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Take it back to Kwik fit. Not the first time they will have gunned up the wheels, and caused this type of issue.

I never thought of that :D:D

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
I find it staggering that the OP had always had the opposite problem, never heard of KF not doing up bolt enough before!

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
yeah,

on 3 occasions my wheel nuts have worked themselves loose before, on 3 different cars and it has been after they have been gunned up. to be fair i try and check them after it has been in for tyres but i haven't had chance with this.

anyways i have called them and am taking it to them tomorrow for them to sort it out, then i'm off to merc to sort out the issue with the key etc. i dont think it should have sheared. i woudlnt be bothered if it was an old set or something, but the nuts are 6 month old and cost £63!

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Did they 'air gun' them up with your new locking nut socket? if so that is probably the cause of the failure - the air gun will hammer away creating multiple shock loads on the locking nut socket causing premature failure. What should happen is run the nuts up with the 'air gun' lower the car slightly to stop the wheel turning then hand Torque them up.

Same thing happened to mine but I saw them do it so they were really up the creek without a paddle, mind you they tried to claim the wheel nut security socket was faulty:rolleyes:

cozymerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 190e Peugeot Coupe and Chrysler Grand Voyager.
Have removed many locking wheel nuts with high impact socket usually these are black in colour instead of chrome if the locking wheel nut is say 18mm in diameter hammer on a 17mm high inpact socket then get a long extension pole and crack the nut with a sharp anti clock wise jolt if the nut shears hammer on a 16mm or 1mm smaller socket than the diameter on the nut and try again the sockets must be of the high impact type black in colour or this proven procedure will not work.

therowans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220 cdi
another option

You can always weld the inside of an oversized nut to the remains of the locking bolt, then use a socket onto the nut to release the problem bolt, used this method a few times thanks to kwik fit!!

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
the face of these nuts are completely flat, with a squiggle indentation. the alloy wheel bolt holes are completely recessed with no space for the impact socket method. its going back tomorrow i am probably going to try and get them to pay for a new set of locknuts.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the face of these nuts are completely flat, with a squiggle indentation. the alloy wheel bolt holes are completely recessed with no space for the impact socket method. its going back tomorrow i am probably going to try and get them to pay for a new set of locknuts.

You can just replace the one broken one

traviski

Reaction score
i had a similar problem a couple of months ago tried all sorts but no luck so phoned the boys with the yellow vans they come out and got it off told them got a flat tyre they put me spare on as well it did take them a while though..........good luck

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
ive been to kwik fit, they swear blind it was torqued up. i have ordered the replacement key as i still have the number for them etc. going to try and dig the remainder of the old key out with a dremel and if that doesnt work then i may drill the bugger out. kwik fit said they couldnt extract it because my alloy bolt holes are recessed and they dont have the tools to do it. they do the impact socket to get them off aparrently. i might weld a wheel nut onto it if all else fails.

Malcolm, i have to buy a complete set, i cant buy just one nut. totally silly. going to take them all out to be honest and paint one nut a different colour as a deterrent. the wheels are scabby and are unlikely to be stolen. the tyres are on their way out too so whatever. wich i'd never bought them now to be fair. should have spent 30 quid on some halfrauds ones and saved myself the hassle. i hate to say it but the nuts on the mrs' bmw are a better design. sorry. LOL. will i be banned for that comment???

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Malcolm, i have to buy a complete set, i cant buy just one nut. totally silly. going to take them all out to be honest and paint one nut a different colour as a deterrent. the wheels are scabby and are unlikely to be stolen. the tyres are on their way out too so whatever. wich i'd never bought them now to be fair. should have spent 30 quid on some halfrauds ones and saved myself the hassle. i hate to say it but the nuts on the mrs' bmw are a better design. sorry. LOL. will i be banned for that comment???

Maybe I got it the wrong way round, and MB will sell the adapter. But I could have sworn that they would sell just one.

How can you weld something on without destroying the alloy wheel

rob the painter

Reaction score
Before drilling or welding, go and see an independant garage. They may have a locking wheel nut removal tool. I have a set from Snap On and they effortlessly remove the offending nut/bolt without risking damage to the rim. A small charge will incurre but it will be well worth it.

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Maybe I got it the wrong way round, and MB will sell the adapter. But I could have sworn that they would sell just one.

How can you weld something on without destroying the alloy wheel

i dont know. was going to have a bash with my mig. but since it is quite likely that i will destroy the wheel it may not be a good idea.

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Before drilling or welding, go and see an independant garage. They may have a locking wheel nut removal tool. I have a set from Snap On and they effortlessly remove the offending nut/bolt without risking damage to the rim. A small charge will incurre but it will be well worth it.

i was told that because the wheel has recessed bolt holes i can only drill it out.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the correct tool mentioned by rob the painter should remove them ok. its essentialy a socket that 'grips' the locking wheelnut

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
ah, is it that one that is used with an impact wrench or impact gun?

Top Bottom