Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
How much did it cost to get the car taken home on a trailer then?

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
There's also the minor issue of driving a car on the road with no indicators or lights and which is unroadworthy.

Yes, fortunately all the lights are working. MOT certificate valid for a few more months!

Can't work this out, £400 odd for rad, x amount for fan, against a tow and wheel alignment check which would be £100 tops :confused:

I didn't buy the replacement rad, fan and condensor brand new, was much less than £400.
How much did it cost to get the car taken home on a trailer then?

Just under £200. A couple places wouldn't take the car because of the weight.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Well, all credit for giving it a go to get back on the road, good luck with it imkaz Where did you source the parts?

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Hi All, just a quick update. So the radiator has arrived and connected all the hoses, but I am struggling with the top connector for what I think is for the gearbox oil, I think the thread might be stripped at the tip, so the nut i am screwing on isn't catching onto the thread radiator side.

I may try undoing the large nut on the radiator itself, maybe it comes out?

I have attached photos of the the area I am referring to in on the old/broken radiator please see below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TVSe61S_nDz6VB62ysKK7Bh2T1bB9_5s
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jUjJ106_pbAVHk02LpWKMSrKkhYXqnYm

If someone knows what size it is, I may be ablel to get a nut or threading kit to re-thread the radiator too.

Thanks!

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I may try undoing the large nut on the radiator itself, maybe it comes out?

I wouldn't be keen to try that myself. It looks to me like it might be a BSP (British Standard Pipe) thread.

Get yourself a vernier caliper, they are about £6-7, and carefully measure.

You can then check against Threading Tables. http://historicmotorcycle.org.au/images/Thread_Tables.pdf
Either that or, if you have a Rad reconditioner nearby, get them to tidy up the thread.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can you not take the threaded connection from your old radiator?

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
OK I managed to get them off, but the nuts seem to hold something in place inside the cavity, had a pair of nuts. The nut seemed to go on fine on the radiator side. On the engine side i cleaned the thread a bit more and pulled off a bit of metal, and managed to get it screwed on.

picture of the nuts off the radiator - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jUjJ106_pbAVHk02LpWKMSrKkhYXqnYm

I am now struggling to get the hose on the radiator!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
and,frankly after one has thrown XXXX? at it, what will it be worth ? as said before a doner car, or flog it for bits . if you have space and time for such a project ?carry on . i do think you could easily be throwing good money after bad here.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Oooook so hose finally got on. Started the car and it runs! Just now need to get a bit more coolant!

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Only just seen this thread. Gutted for you Kofi, it was a lovely looking car.

Can't help you with anything on it as you're way too far South for me, but hope you get it sorted soon. :)

Kirbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ECLASS 280 sport,2009,3.0 and SL350 2004
Hi

Just read through all of this first time

I have to admire the wish to keep this car ,the effort to get it going again and to eventually save it,I took the same route with my first marriage and it cost me more in the end

I don't know the value of the car[emotional value understood] but cant help feeling that to ensure the structure is safe and legal,to get it back to full order and as beautiful as before will be greater than the non emotional value when compared to dropping it and will you ever really feel the same as you did before

Things happen for a reason,you were lucky no one lese was involved and that you are safe so maybe it was message to move on

Having said that if you have say promised it to your children one day as I have then all logic is out of the window and continue with your dream which I sincerely hope doesn't turn into your nightmare

Cheers

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oooook so hose finally got on. Started the car and it runs! Just now need to get a bit more coolant!

Imkaz, put some pictures up of your progress, be nice to see more of the repairs with the car attached ;).
Those threads on the replacement rad look like they were cross-threaded at some stage of it life :eek:

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I am now struggling to get the hose on the radiator!

Is that a rubber hose onto a metal fitting? I always use Rubber Grease. The pink/red stuff that always came in a little tube with any clutch/brake cylinder repair kit. Except, we have it in 'tub' form. Not expensive and, once applied, if there is then a later need to remove such hose, it is not then 'welded' to the metal pipe.:)

Kirbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ECLASS 280 sport,2009,3.0 and SL350 2004
mmmmmm gone quiet on this one,anyone heard owt?

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Hi All,

I am still here, just been trying to source a the front panel to hold the radiator, and a couple of the breakers have messed me about saying they have the part, I chase a few days for them to send it out, then after a couple of days they turn around and say the part is damaged beyond repair. Asked for photos but they never send it. Which makes me think they dont have the part in the first place. Bit upsetting as I need this to hold the radiator in place, at the moment its strapped to the crashboxe still.

Anyway I now have a couple things I need to do:
Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qhffwUMVKv8LAAqi-QM2S99xhKtJch5y?usp=sharing

1. Figure out a way to safely remove the condensor - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YdmuI8TmKnpus0upeYogOHzu2y-FWbfi and https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lJEBJVyr0Cjbhkm3btIwPVUZkkG_pmWSz
I have undone the bolt, but its not pulling apart. I read that the refrigerant is a bit dangerous and cold, I dont see any green liquid anyway so I think its still in there. Think I want to remove the gas, then pull apart.

2. Engine to expansion tank pipe has a small hole - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GxJCmHtEcQSqN7ZfcCdhEfeLWw3orXoc
This was spraying a bit of coolant when the engine got to temperature. I've ordered some silicone tape and a replacement hose, but if anyone has any comments on this, it would be great.

3. Updated picture of front end minus the replacement radiator here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18gn6qs88V6o9pvyBEZn0DtBkYOQz3lyC

Thanks!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
OMG! Can i ask, do you have a lot of time on your hands. I'm just asking because I had the chance to fix up an old car years ago, with the help of others, but when we looked into time on the project and where it was stored, it was a no no. Also, do you intend on keeping the car long term?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I would be replacing the belt idler (tensioner) to the right of the crankshaft if I were you as it looks damaged in the last pic.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
I would be replacing the belt idler (tensioner) to the right of the crankshaft if I were you as it looks damaged in the last pic.

Good spot, the pulley didn't spin at all so got a new one and belt as the original had chunks missing from it. Haven't got a video but with the new tensioner seems OK, but wasn't able to get the correct torque for it, did it up to 25Nm maybe that will be ok?

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
OMG! Can i ask, do you have a lot of time on your hands. I'm just asking because I had the chance to fix up an old car years ago, with the help of others, but when we looked into time on the project and where it was stored, it was a no no. Also, do you intend on keeping the car long term?

I have a second car, so I am just using that for getting to and from work. So in the evening I was just taking bits off and putting in bags, mainly because I didn't want some nicking my headlights!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Gee's LK I had to zoom in to pick that up, mind you I would never have spotted it anyway!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom