So you think Mercedes parts are expensive?

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Well think again...

SWMBO's Mini was missing a jacking point rubber, so I trundled into the local Mini parts department and ordered one. Total price including VAT was £11.16. I bought a jacking point rubber a couple of years ago for my Viano as one was missing and the total cost was under £1.00 at the time.

Looking at them both the one for the Mini (on the right in the attachment) is way over engineered as the one from the Viano is half the size and weight and works perfectly well for a vehicle twice the weight of the Mini and costs less than 10% of the price

Attachments

• P1040927.jpg
    P1040927.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 43

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I need one for my 140,,I will ask Carl rather then get a shock :D

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Parts for Mercedes cars are priced according to a mixture of Astral projections and the study of Camellia sinensis formations,
They are then released to us mere mortals on the wind of Vatican Smoke formations, nobody understands these.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Perhaps as the mini is made by BMW it can be said BMW over engineer their cars to last in the manner people recall with rose tinted specs re 124s, 129s, 140s, and other Mercedes cars of that generation. Mercedes now make over priced unreliable junk that breaks and rusts. Perhaps if they continued to over engineer the cars they wouldn't be the subject of condemnation and ridicule. Quality costs. Be prepared to pay for it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?da5dun

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Clearly there's no correlation between the price and cost to manufacture on most car parts. A huge range of factors affect the price, from volume produced to how long they've been sat on the shelf.

But that's true with all makes. I remember trying to buy headrests for my Ford many years ago. The dealer had several failed attempts at getting the right part. Finally he managed it but had screwed up the colour so back it went yet again. When the light blue part finally arrived, it was £20 more than the previous dark blue one.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Perhaps as the mini is made by BMW it can be said BMW over engineer their cars to last in the manner people recall with rose tinted specs re 124s, 129s, 140s, and other Mercedes cars of that generation. Mercedes now make over priced unreliable junk that breaks and rusts. Perhaps if they continued to over engineer the cars they wouldn't be the subject of condemnation and ridicule. Quality costs. Be prepared to pay for it.

I have to ask. If you hate your car as much as you clearly do, why not get rid and buy a BM or a Jag?

r129co

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
r129.co
Your Mercedes
R129 SL500
Ha ha jacking point rubbers come in at £4.4 million...club members 45p !!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I have to ask. If you hate your car as much as you clearly do, why not get rid and buy a BM or a Jag?

I can't afford to get rid of it for a suitable BMW model, otherwise I would have done. A 2yr old 3 series etc M sport, Auto which I would want, is out of my price range with what I would want to spend on a car relative to what I have in my savings account.

I don't hate the 211 range, I've had two, which is one more than you have owned, but I hate the particular example I have sometimes. Paint is now falling off the doors. Two months ago and 1500 miles ago, it was in for engine work.

My ownership experience sadly does not mirror your hassle free and pleasurable one. I know for a Mercedes forum that may well be an inconvienient truth, but its a truth nonetheless.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
My ownership experience sadly does not mirror your hassle free and pleasurable one. I know for a Mercedes forum that may well be an inconvienient truth, but its a truth nonetheless.

you didnt have these problems with your first shed, shame the upgraded shed/chalet ended up a step backwards :(

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
you didnt have these problems with your first shed, shame the upgraded shed/chalet ended up a step backwards :(

The first Mercedes I owned was a most excellent car and gave reliable, fun and economical motoring. This one has majored on fun and to an extent economical as its a very kind car on fuel.

I really should just get rid of it, and take out a loan and get a new car, but I am loathed to go down the finance route for a car. If I were to take finance, it really would have to be a brand new car or practically new, but then £700pm loans do not appeal.

Top Bottom