So you think you are safe after 3 weeks do you ? You are NOT !!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
sorry...beat up here if you like....but we all know the law...and yes there is no justess in many cases....haven't most of us been there at some time or other being done for 4mph over the limit and a boy racer who nicks a car gets a warning and let off....we feel that the law abiding motorist is being penalised for a trivial offence........but speeding is speeding.........and when we get caught we have to put our hands up...because as I have said before.....how many times have you been well over the limit and got away with it...be honest.... Then when we get caught for 4mph over we go into a rant............hands up all those that have got away with speeding many times.

Many times, but the few I have not, I am sure the resources used to capture my offence could have been better deployed.

100mph down the M5 when there is no traffic and a whole £30k car and £40k salary to catch me. I doubt that even turns a profit if that car gets 10 people an hour yet it does not provide a service, for there are violent drunks that roam the streets causing misery to others that go on scot free.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Many times, but the few I have not, I am sure the resources used to capture my offence could have been better deployed.

100mph down the M5 when there is no traffic and a whole £30k car and £40k salary to catch me. I doubt that even turns a profit if that car gets 10 people an hour yet it does not provide a service, for there are violent drunks that roam the streets causing misery to others that go on scot free.

and beating up pensioners to rob them of their savings, holding up shops at gunpoint etc. i totally agree that yes, whilst we are all guilty, the resources could be better used! i had some wheels stolen a few yars back from where they were stored. no one even came to the property for 3 DAYS!

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
True the law is an ass......and we could debate this forever......but 100mph down the M5.....there is the unforseen....anything could happen....and one day might.......burst tyre....debris in the road....another joy rider......stray animal....personally I think it is reckless and nothing to boast about....sorry....just my opinion.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
True the law is an ass......and we could debate this forever......but 100mph down the M5.....there is the unforseen....anything could happen....and one day might.......burst tyre....debris in the road....another joy rider......stray animal....personally I think it is reckless and nothing to boast about....sorry....just my opinion.

If either of those scenarios happened at 70mph the outcome would not be the same.

I could see for about a mile ahead. It takes much less than that to stop a car at 100mph.

Anyway, thats my tut tut for the day....

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

no offence Lizzy but its exactly the same if a police car is doing that speed. and no matter how much driver training they take (and how many sides they take out of their vehicles on walls etc round here) if something goes wrong, like a tyre blows, they have no more grip than anyone else on the road.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
True the law is an ass......and we could debate this forever......but 100mph down the M5.....there is the unforseen....anything could happen....
ST4 was dreaming of that while being questioned by the nice Blonde Policewoman...

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't a 'Speed Awareness Course' when you are sent out on a track with 'The Stig' and watch intently as the speedo hits 130......150........170........... ??

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
no offence Lizzy but its exactly the same if a police car is doing that speed. and no matter how much driver training they take (and how many sides they take out of their vehicles on walls etc round here) if something goes wrong, like a tyre blows, they have no more grip than anyone else on the road.

no offence taken Pete.....but I think you have missed my point...I did mention how unjust the law can be......there is no doubt in that...all I am saying is..if you get caught for speeding...you get fined.....you know you shouldn't exceed the speed limit. Two wrongs don't make a right.....All of us speed from time to time....in my case not to excess, but just a little over the speed limit. If I got caught for say -for arguments sake 5mph over the limit, although it would seem rediculous I would not make a song and dance over it as I know I have got away with it so many times. Yes the law is an ass sometimes and the law should apply to traffic cops as it does for joe public, but there will always be discrepancies.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
no offence taken Pete.....but I think you have missed my point...I did mention how unjust the law can be......there is no doubt in that...all I am saying is..if you get caught for speeding...you get fined.....you know you shouldn't exceed the speed limit. Two wrongs don't make a right.....All of us speed from time to time....in my case not to excess, but just a little over the speed limit. If I got caught for say -for arguments sake 5mph over the limit, although it would seem rediculous I would not make a song and dance over it as I know I have got away with it so many times. Yes the law is an ass sometimes and the law should apply to traffic cops as it does for joe public, but there will always be discrepancies.

I agree lizzy this also applies to other laws, we have to have them for life would be hell for some of us if we did not

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Isn't a 'Speed Awareness Course' when you are sent out on a track with 'The Stig' and watch intently as the speedo hits 130......150........170........... ??

If it is then "i woz done over" yesterday and the 'stig' who ran the course I was on was one of those smart ar*es that you just want to slap...

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Simon I fully understand your feelings and if you want to have a pop at them do so but please be aware you are you are the one that will loose out the law on speeding is the law no matter what we think of it. I made a conscious decision not to bite back - there were plenty of times I could have done but the so called trainer was so far up himself it would have been a complete waste of time and energy.

However one thing I did have him on was his inability to take his eyes of a well turned out attractive blonde middle aged woman sitting on the front row. He spent all of his forward facing time observing her comely bosoms and other attributes. After the program had finished I reminded him that leering is not something to be proud of - left him with a red face and I with a spring in my heel:shock:;)

crockers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc now sold - XC60 D5 arrived
If either of those scenarios happened at 70mph the outcome would not be the same.

I could see for about a mile ahead. It takes much less than that to stop a car at 100mph.

Anyway, thats my tut tut for the day....

Trouble is Steve it takes the same distance to bring a car from 100 mph to 70 mph that is does to bring it from 70 mph to a stop...

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/SpeedStoppingDistances.pdf

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
These posts on speeding always generate pages of replies an indication of how we all can have a rant against the system / law.
I have had a few near misses recently ( better wait for 2 wks see if I'm clear ) One was on a stretch in Brum I have passed several days in a row and set the limiter . This time i had been visiting my dad in hospital concentration wasnt 100% braked from about 34/35 somewhere in the white lines . I think if you have never exceeded the speed limit ever in your driving life even for a moment then you are not human but a machine . It makes me think I'll resume the use of my inforad device even in local areas it bleats sometimes where there must have been a camera van sometime or a temp speed limit but I think I'd rather get annoyed by the bleeps when nothing is there than give any more money to either the police or the government .
I hear that jeremy clarkson has never had any points or been copped for speeding ..... how does he do that!!!! all those miles ..... all those exotic cars...and a love of speed Hats off to him he's a Hero
Whereas the likes of Brunstrom ???

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
I also think that if there was a fund that supported private prosecutions for speeding and we were able to fund someone to follow every chief constable until they ended up with points, then the next rank down etc. we would soon see how its one law for joe public and, "do what i say not what i do" again just like the politicians

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
As I have said repeatedly Roger..
I learnt nothing and will learn nothing..
Its a money making excercise.. The course I did was considered by the vast majority to be a waste of time and money.. We all did it to save our 3 points and for no other reason !
If the super intendant is reading this then its a pity he has sooo much spare time on his hands.. Try solving some real crime !
I dont give a crap if he reads this or not..
DO YOUR WORST !!

If you feel that way Simon, why don't you just take the three points and save yourself £10. :rolleyes: You don't HAVE to go on the course if you're so against it.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
We all have the solution

in our nice motor cars. Cruise control set at the prescribed limit, as you enter the limited zone. It will prevent you from exceeding the prescribed speed.

There are several downsides. It seems terribly slow - you would think you had stopped! And in Warwickshire (where we have a blanket 50 mph limit) there are many villages through which the limit is 30 mph, for miles!

There are often no parked cars to negotiate and very often there is not a pedestrian to be seen. And the guy behind you is busy trying to get into the boot of your car - screaming with frustration and not handling it very well. And the lorry drivers want you to go a bit faster because their tacchograph or their satnav says they are only doing 28 in a 30 and the business model demands 30.

As a French General once said when witnessing a suicidal infantry charge - "It is magnificent, but it is not war".

Similarly, speed limits as we see them in many places are magnificent theatre, but they do not guarantee safety.

Try telling the mother of the child who ran out between cars outside school that 20 mph was safe. Or the driver who killed the child and is in shock, repeating time after time -"But I stuck to the 20 mph limit"!

Supercharged

Reaction score
Website
www.adpuk.co.uk
Your Mercedes
New Audi RS5 Coupe on order
I never use my cruise at all , dont know why and I have had it as standard on a few cars over the years and certainly wouldn't have it as an option. Yes it would stop you speeding but i never feel in control !

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Speeding?????? as I have never experienced this, I cant comment :D

IIRC MissyD you followed me for a few miles once, and the car doing the following always has to go faster just to keep up! (my suspicion is that I might have been expeeding the seed limit at that time?).

All unverifiable and totally deniable of course, but I am sure you know what it feels like!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom