Soft top not fitting into rear screen seal properly

Astra Sport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 cabriolet (A209) 2003
Hi folks. I'm new here and looking forward to sharing tips and advice with you all. Problem as suggested in the title is with the canvas top. When closing it the fabric crumples up and so doesn't fit neatly into the `slot' of the rear screen rubber. I think the canvas may have separated from the steel cable therein!! Any ideas? Mine is the later model with fully automatic roof i.e. no handle..

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Are you describing a small black piece that seems to stick out between the window and the fabric hood? The rubber hood liner has a pleat that can pucker up and get caught between the two. It is caused by a broken piece of elastic that pulls the "dart" of the pleat out the way when the rear bow comes down onto the deck. If you open the roof so the rear bow is fully up and stop there, the window is separated from the hood and you can explore the section where the pleat and elastic sit. A skilled needle and thread-ist can sew in a new bit of elastic.

OP
A

Astra Sport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like a plan! The `batwing' section certainly crumples at the bottom but the hood fabric itself seems to roll back which makes me think it's come away from the cable. I think there are probably 2 issues... Thankyou for your input, I'll look at that elastic..didn't even know it was there! (only had the car a few weeks, gradually going through the snags). Cheers!

OP
A

Astra Sport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thankyou John. Are you in the Mafia? With the E63?! What a machine...

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom