Soft top replacement vs plastic windows replacement

olivier_wery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 SL280 N reg 58k miles
Hi all, here we go again...

There has been many threads on the subject so far, but I'll add my two pennies...

I drive an R129 SL280 1996, that has cracked and yellowed soft top windows... So much so that I currently would not dare using the car with soft top on... Winter's coming so no biggie, but getting ready for the spring refit...

Re the very long thread that was posted a while ago, the final opinion was that when it comes to genuine Merc quality soft top replacement, KHM in Stuttgart (http://www.cabrio.de/Englisch/navi.htm) seems the only outfit that not only replaces soft top, but uses quality 1.5mm thick plastic. Now... I don't really feel like going down to Stuttgart, so I thought i'd give them a quick call, see if they have any shop they recommend closer to the british isles... And indeed they do:

1. Adridge Trimming (http://www.aldridge.co.uk/index.cfm) in wolverhampton

2. southbound motor trimmers, stockbridge (01264 810 080)

3. T&D, Maghera, Belfast (website not responding, don't know if still in business)

These 3 outfits DO NOT replace windows, they just order KHM rear part of the soft top, which is what is recommended.

It is obviously more expensive than windows only... but KHM assured me that they were no way that you could refit windows properly to an existing original Merc hood, with the correct material in the correct thickness...

KHM has quoted me €490 for the hood, and around €500 + german VAT for fitting, so around €1100, with a wait of around 1 month in winter, and 6 weeks to 2 months in spring and summer...

They are official refitters for the official Merc museum in stuttgart too...

So three questions for you, ladies and gents:

1. Have you used KHM? How good is their work?

2. Have you used Aldridge Trimming or Southbound Motor Trimmers?

3. Have you been happy with a windows only replacement, did the plastic windows last, can you recommend a fitter?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Olivier

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And I think so too as roadhog :D:D

OP
olivier_wery

olivier_wery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 SL280 N reg 58k miles
True.... But they are 700 miles away.... So if The other 2 based in the uk do as good a job, it could save quite a few pennies...

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
I mixed a wine tour of the Moselle region with a trip to KHM to have my soft top replaced.

KHM did a good job and were very pleasant to deal with. They had a mouth watering collection of cars in their workshop when we were there, which was a bonus.

At that time they didn't have any UK fitters so it was Stuttgart or nothing, but I don't think they would link up with anyone who wasn't reliable as they are very proud of their product. I believe that one of the directors of KHM is the original designer of the R129 soft top mechanism. I've no first hand experience of the UK fitters though.

It cost 1840 euros for the complete top including fitting and VAT in May 2008

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Just as a matter of interest there is a brand new canvas folding roof to fit CLK W208 most models on sale from Mb parts for the princely sum of £1722.62 +vat ..The normal price of this item is £7,687.00 part no is A20877005015C49..

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I use a local trimer to me, he will replace just the rear plactic windows, but only if the roof canvas is in good condition. he's been doing my work for 25+ years.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom