2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Colins second R class was amazing with the 7g, just so smooth

Jodel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde Auto
The late SL I bought for a friend with the 7g was perfect, and still is

My good friends 2011 S class 7g is perfect

That is what I find particularly galling. I know these boxes can be absolutely first rate, but it seems completely beyond the wit of man (or dealers anyway) to restore mine to its previously excellent level of performance. I can honestly say that the Jatco autobox in my '06 Kia Picanto is far smoother than my E Class. So I'd reiterate my advice to the OP - if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! I wish I'd left mine alone.

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
ha my iphone has perfect 4g

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I've been reading with interest the sticky about, amongst other things, the software update for the seven speed auto gearbox and wonder what exactly was the defect it fixed?

Can anyone please describe the symptoms of the fault? (HAWK20 ??)

Many thanks.

MB dealers are supplied with software updates which they will install for you with no charge (normally when having a service done). It is possible to have it done at a time when a service is not needed if you complain about jerky changes and if you are either under warranty or are a regular customer of theirs. This is what I did.

Out of warranty and for customers who get serviced elsewhere, some MB dealers may make a small charge.

One reason why some members have driven cars with the 7g box not working as well as it should, is that not all owners go back to an MB dealer to get the software update done. And some have only had the earlier updates done which frankly were not fully successful in quite a few cases.

My ML350cdi was MB serviced but the previous owner did not grumble about the box so it was left alone. When I bought it in September 2010, I was not happy with the occasional jerky change especially at low speeds, or slowing down going into roundabouts for example. Fortunately the important update (the one that really worked - some earlier ones were not fully sucessful in some cases) came out in September 2010. Get that one done and the difference I found was really significant. I now get no jerky changes and really the box is now first rate in every respect -silky smooth and picks the right gear, at the right time.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB dealers are supplied with software updates which they will install for you with no charge (normally when having a service done). It is possible to have it done at a time when a service is not needed if you complain about jerky changes and if you are either under warranty or are a regular customer of theirs. This is what I did.

Out of warranty and for customers who get serviced elsewhere, some MB dealers may make a small charge.

One reason why some members have driven cars with the 7g box not working as well as it should, is that not all owners go back to an MB dealer to get the software update done. And some have only had the earlier updates done which frankly were not fully successful in quite a few cases.

The actual fact is that MB do not automatically do up dates, you have to complain first, if out of warranty they will charge for doing this in most cases.

It also requires a good man to do updates of this nature, and not all can do it very well as we have all seen on here, there is one on this thread who wishes that he had not had it done as it is worse.

Yes some folk do not get the problem sorted out while the car is in their ownership and so the car with the fault goes on to someone else because as in your case updates are not automatically done. Anyone with Star on line can carry out latest updates, and it matters not if a good indie or a main dealer.

OP
E

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
Star?

Television, you're going to have to tell me please what Star is. I haven't a clue. :confused:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
STAR is the MB diagnostic software.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Anyone with Star on line can carry out latest updates, and it matters not if a good indie or a main dealer.

That is not my information. The updates are supplied to main dealers. Sometimes they are not just simple software updates but improved designs of key components. e.g new injectors and much more have been fitted free to the recent 4 pot diesels. MB pay the dealers to do the updates/improvements. They do not -as far as I am aware- pay independents to do them, or supply the necessary parts or software.

OP
E

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
Main dealer/Indie

One wonders if that, Hawk, could be the reason for some reports in this thread of disgruntled recipients of the gearbox update?

I wonder how many who have shown dissatisfaction have not had the update done by main dealers?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
One wonders if that, Hawk, could be the reason for some reports in this thread of disgruntled recipients of the gearbox update?

I wonder how many who have shown dissatisfaction have not had the update done by main dealers?

Indeed. It amazes me how some will spend 30-40k or more on a car and then begrudge the under 3p per mile that servicing costs in the first 3 years for a motorist doing a fairly average 10-12k miles per year.

Even worse What Car did a survey and found thousands of owners have not even responded to recalls. Either they do not get round to it or their details change, they don't inform dealers and they drop out of the MB system. They would get the DVLA type mega recall but none of the dealer recalls (which are far more frequent and relate to particular dates or Vin numbers and are not deemed serious enough to warrant the full DVLA assisted recall. There are loads of updates/service campaigns etc which are important and done free but only if you visit a dealer! And they don't just come in the first two to three years -though most do. The gearbox update that worked so well for my ML came out in September 2010 not long before the model was to reach the end and be replaced by the 166.

Nothing wrong with good indies and on older cars they often have extensive knowledge. But in the earlier years IMO it is worth having at least some services by the main dealer in order to get service campaigns/updates etc done. Some are done to all cars (of certain dates or VIN numbers). Some are only done if a particular problem is reported.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indeed. It amazes me how some will spend 30-40k or more on a car and then begrudge the under 3p per mile that servicing costs in the first 3 years for a motorist doing a fairly average 10-12k miles per year.

Even worse What Car did a survey and found thousands of owners have not even responded to recalls. Either they do not get round to it or their details change, they don't inform dealers and they drop out of the MB system. They would get the DVLA type mega recall but none of the dealer recalls (which are far more frequent and relate to particular dates or Vin numbers and are not deemed serious enough to warrant the full DVLA assisted recall. There are loads of updates/service campaigns etc which are important and done free but only if you visit a dealer! And they don't just come in the first two to three years -though most do. The gearbox update that worked so well for my ML came out in September 2010 not long before the model was to reach the end and be replaced by the 166.

Nothing wrong with good indies and on older cars they often have extensive knowledge. But in the earlier years IMO it is worth having at least some services by the main dealer in order to get service campaigns/updates etc done. Some are done to all cars (of certain dates or VIN numbers). Some are only done if a particular problem is reported.

But re calls are very rare, it is the last thing a car maker will do, again you would be hard pushed to get any updates done for they will only do it if there is a problem with the car and some update might fix that problem,,, otherwise they do not get done.

An indie with online STAR is just as up to dates as any dealer, for when the car goes in, it is plugged into the same online system that the dealers use:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is not my information. The updates are supplied to main dealers. Sometimes they are not just simple software updates but improved designs of key components. e.g new injectors and much more have been fitted free to the recent 4 pot diesels. MB pay the dealers to do the updates/improvements. They do not -as far as I am aware- pay independents to do them, or supply the necessary parts or software.

As I have put in my post above,,, the car goes to an indie with online STAR then that car is talking to the same computer as the one the dealers use.

Again dealers will not do all updates. if the owner complains of a problem and there is an update, then that one will be done but not otherwise.

You see Hawk it is all automatic these days, if the car does happen to get plugged into STAR and that is not on a normal service, then the computer will do all the work while the workers can get on with something else.

OP
E

exjag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 avantgarde 2010 3.0
Well, we'll see. For 10 years I had all my Jaguar servicing and the few repairs I needed done at a main dealer. I always advocate building a relationship with the right main dealer - one of proven competence and good service - and it's amazing what they will do for you if you have a good attitude, especially when you recognize, when a mistake has been made, that to err is human. I remember some years ago leaving a dealer's after my S-Type had been serviced, and discovering next morning that the sump oil had been drained, but not replaced! Fortunately the remnants of the drained oil had been able to cope. I felt, and feel, confident that with a main dealer had the worst happened I would have been adequately compensated. Lesson - never totally trust a garage; even a good one!

I have a local MB dealership on recommendation from a member of this forum and I'm going to see how they respond to a discussion on the subject of the various recalls and updates, including the gearbox.

If I could throw one more spanner in the works - or in the gearbox! - does the type of gearbox - 7G-Tronic, or 7G-Tronic PLUS - have any relevance to the update argument?

Thanks to everyone who has taken an interest in responding. It's always good to get a cross-section of views.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 722,6 box is too long in the tooth to need updates, there have been a couple for the 7g but I still say you would need to show that you had a problem, and they will not just update,, if a car is running fine then no need to update, there is always the risk of one not going to plan, and the dealers (and I do not blame them) will avoid if they can. 99% of so called updates are for when problems have arisen on a certain part of the car.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
But re calls are very rare, it is the last thing a car maker will do, again you would be hard pushed to get any updates done for they will only do it if there is a problem with the car and some update might fix that problem,,, otherwise they do not get done.

An indie with online STAR is just as up to dates as any dealer, for when the car goes in, it is plugged into the same online system that the dealers use:D

Sorry TV but you are wrong on this one. But we have danced this merry dance before and my feet are tired.

I suggest the OP looks at the sticky on recalls etc. http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91542 Worth reading the US thread (link given in the sticky) that shows just how many service campaigns etc there are on one single MB model. Shows how lots of them are done without waiting for a complaint.

I suggest he then asks a good 'indie' if they are paid by MB to do service campaigns/updates/dealer recalls etc and provided free with the updates/parts etc necessary to do the work. He will find that what I have posted is correct. Only a main dealer is so treated by MB.

It is quite untrue that updates/service campaigns/dealer recalls etc are only done in response to customer complaints. Some are done in response to complaints; some are done without a complaint when the next service is done, and some are done by dealer recall of particular groups of cars. I have experienced all of these on the many MBs I have owned, all of which were given full MB service history.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom